!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How long did it take Picasso to paint his massive painting called Guernica?  (Read 963 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

Click to enlarge.

It's a massive painting - almost three and a half metres tall by seven and three quarter metres wide. That's about 10 feet by 25 feet in old money. In other words, that's the size of a very large mural. Really colossal.

I know that Picasso started painting it about two weeks after the German bombing raid on the Spanish town of Guernica - but what I'd like to know is how long did it take for Picasso to physically paint such an enormous painting?
« Last Edit: 18 September, 2017, 12:19:20 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

Click to enlarge.

I've almost figured out all by myself how long Picasso took to paint 'Guernica'!   I say 'I've almost' because I've managed to narrow it down to a surprisingly swift 8 or 12 weeks.  First I found out that the Luftwaffe bombed the Spanish village of Guernica to smithereens on the morning of Monday the 6th of April, 1937.

And, next, that Picasso completed the painting 'sometime' in June, 1937. Can't get more exact than that.

So that makes a minimum of 8 weeks and a maximum of 12 weeks for a vast painting measuring 10 feet by 25 feet!  Most of the time no doubt would have gone in making all the detailed preparatory drawings and working sketches etc.  Pretty fast worker Seņor Picasso!
"I live in hope"