!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How are Sudokus designed?  (Read 501 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
How are Sudokus designed?
« on: 16 September, 2017, 09:32:54 AM »
It's staggering when you think about it. Thousands of new Sudokus appear everyday, in thousands of newspapers all round the world. It makes me wonder...how can so many Sudokus be designed so quickly?

Is there, as I suspect, a computer algorhythm that works them all out at the speed of lightning? How does it work? How long does it take? And who invented the algorhythm?

Or maybe I'm completely wrong. In that case, do Sudoku designers all work manually, painstakingly, by trial and error? I wish I knew.

How are all those Sudokus designed?

And, as an afterthought, how many possible combinations of numbers are possible with a 9 x 9 squares Sudoku?
« Last Edit: 16 September, 2017, 09:43:59 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"