!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Why did medieval plague doctors wear these surreal strange bird-like masks?  (Read 871 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

They look comical and vaguely Salvador Dali-esque today - but they must have scared the pantaloons off people during the Black Plague!  So why did medieval plague doctors wear bird-like masks?
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Ooo, a question I know the answer to!

The end of the 'nose' was filled with fragrant herbs which, it was thought, would help counter the infection and stop the doctors from catching the plague.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Ooo, a question I know the answer to!

The end of the 'nose' was filled with fragrant herbs which, it was thought, would help counter the infection and stop the doctors from catching the plague.

Thanks, Duff. Nice to know that herbal medicine was being practised back then. I can just see a medieval plague doctor stuffing his beak with herbs and saying to himself "And if these herbs don't work, come back and see me in a week or two".
"I live in hope"