!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: dealing with insect bites.  (Read 1077 times)

Offline jacquesdor

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 13
  • Helpfulness: 24
dealing with insect bites.
« on: 04 September, 2017, 02:10:57 PM »
Listen to your body, they tell me, it knows what it needs. Why, then, when you are covered in insect bites, all advice is not to scratch. When you do just that it feels so amazingly good?

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Re: dealing with insect bites.
« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2017, 02:16:23 PM »
The one thing I've found from many years of insect bites is that if you scratch, the relief is momentary - and then the itch comes back worse! 

The one thing that does give relief, in my experience, is those electric shock insect bit zappers.  This is an example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/291509812136?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=45512683613&rlsatarget=pla-380570170724&abcId=1128956&adtype=pla&merchantid=101748885&poi=&googleloc=9046288&device=c&campaignid=857339229&crdt=0

Offline jacquesdor

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 05 September, 2017, 11:56:12 AM »
Many thanks, Duff. I had never heard of this before, I will give it a try.

Offline jacquesdor

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 05 September, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »
The strangest thing. I followed the link and found the zapper. The first thing I saw when I went back to Facebook was a  notification from Amazon. Showing the same zapper. Big Brother watching me ?

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #4 on: 05 September, 2017, 01:24:54 PM »
By Eck, I can really talk with authority on the subject of insect bites! For years my name seems to have been at the top of the international 'Most Wanted List' that all insects around the world read as soon as they hatch out. They all zero straight in on me even if I am in the middle of a crowd and the only one smothered in pongy insect repellent and wearing head to foot protective clothing.

And you should see me when I do get bitten! I don't just itch like mad. Nothing so simple. I also swell up, feel dizzy and go a very garish shade of vivid cerise. After decades of itching, I can safely say "Scratch if you want to scratch Jacques, but only if you use my technique".

My technique is don't scratch the actual bite (because, as Duff pointed out, that just worsens it). Instead, make sure you only scratch an inch away from and around the bite site...you get all the satisfaction of having a darned good scratch but with no risk of antagonising the actual bite site. Works every time for me.

I have become so experienced with being bitten by insects that I have recently graduated to Advanced Bite Scratching, Part 2 - This refinement isn't scratching at all...just moisten your finger tips (ie spit on them) and stroke beside the bite and around it, again never ever on it.

This 'moist distance stroking' works just as well as my other method of scratching around the bite, probably because the spit also helps cool down the heat from any inflammation the bite is causing.

The level of relief with either technique is sheer bliss...and that is after all the aim of the game, is it not?
« Last Edit: 05 September, 2017, 01:32:39 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
« Reply #5 on: 05 September, 2017, 02:35:34 PM »
I've had to put up with hubby being bitten by all sorts of insects. I've seen his hand swollen so much he can't move his fingers and ended up in A&E with a few too.
When they attack his legs it looks like they've travelled up/down and bitten/stung numerous times. However a doctor told him that whilst it looks like that it's actually the poison travelling along the blood vessels and 'breaking out' along them.
One of the best creams we've found is Fenestril. It works fast and eases the itching.
;-)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2017, 08:42:42 PM »
If i scratch too much the skin turns purple and gets very warm too the touch. Continue scratching and the purple spreads further. I suspect it's not good for me, so I don't do it. But then I'm a little allergic, I think.

Offline Revidebacle

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
    • Joingy
« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2017, 09:55:50 PM »
Don't touch it and apply topical medication to it will yield the best results.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #8 on: 02 October, 2017, 03:19:47 PM »
I once got bitten by a pterodactyl-sized horse fly in Scandinavia, right between the eyes. My whole forehead swoll up and I looked like one of those green flying aliens in Dan Dare comic strips.

The doctor simply prescribed anti-histamine tablets and that worked a treat too. Cured the itching in nano-seconds. Still had a head like a Mekon for a few days though.

Me on my hols on the fjords. Click to enlarge my bonce.
"I live in hope"