!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Can I buy saltpetre without getting arrested for bomb making?  (Read 12931 times)

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Maria Montessori
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
I have a recipe for preserved meat that uses an ingredient called Saltpetre, but apparently, this is now a restricted substance as it can be used in the bomb making process.  Can i legally buy it for culinary use, and if so, who sells food-quality saltpetre?

Offline macavity

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Student - AS Level
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
  • Helpfulness: 13
    • props fashions
Re: Can I buy saltpetre without getting arrested for bomb making?
« Reply #1 on: 16 July, 2009, 05:53:59 PM »
Try your local butcher he may be able to get it from his wholesalers or tell you where to get it from because it is used when pickling beef.

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2009, 08:18:22 PM »
You can have a plentiful supply if you drink some water - it's in your wee:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #3 on: 17 July, 2009, 12:28:04 AM »
-
The consensus is you can't buy neat saltpetre because of its use as an accelerator in explosives. But...

even butchers use a curing salt mix containing the requisite amount of saltpetre. This is called pokelsalz.

To buy pokelsalz you could try emmailing...

noel_dawson@kerry-ingredients.co.uk

who will put you in touch with your nearest supplier. It costs around 14 for 4 x 4.54kg packs.

That is a lot to pay if you only need a few tablespoons for curing a few hams but it is the best I could find.

Info culled from...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/dear-truffler-purple-carrots-saltpetre-749288.html

Others suggest that you can buy saltpetre on ebay quite easily but I can't vouch for this.

The idea of finding a decent local butcher who still cures his own hams and simply 'borrowing' a spoonful of saltpetre still looks like your best bet.
"I live in hope"

Offline AtMyWitzEnd

• February 2011 prize-quiz winner.
  • Pythagoras
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
  • Helpfulness: 84
« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2009, 02:28:30 AM »
You're right, Saltpetre is a controlled substance and has been since the days of the IRA and is not a recent change. (Shame I have fond memories of making gunpower with it and very fast burning fuses in the chemistry club at school). However, you can still buy it in small quantities for food use ... it is used for curing meat and making sausages. It is not used much now-a-days though as it is a known carcinogen. This is why alternatives are now used. For sources, try entering saltpetre in Google Product Search, there will be quite a few suppliers listed ... such as http://www.biltongbox.com/shop/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=11 For the alternative products, try the website of sausagemaking.org http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/All_Purpose_Curing_Salt.html

mark Ashford

« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2017, 02:39:49 PM »
I am astonished that anyone thinks saltpetre is restricted for sale. It is sold on Ebay and Amazon just the same as anything else.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 02 October, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »
I am astonished that anyone thinks saltpetre is restricted for sale. It is sold on Ebay and Amazon just the same as anything else.

The Saltpetre available on Amazon and Ebay is food grade Saltpetre. Useful if you are making bangers for your breakfast but not if you are making bombs.

If anyone can find 'weapons grade' Saltpetre on their sites I'd be amazed. But maybe I missed something? Was I looking in the wrong place?
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #7 on: 02 October, 2017, 07:27:51 PM »
You must have forgotten to change department in Amazon. You were looking in groceries and food, not WMD... Joy__

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 03 October, 2017, 11:44:50 PM »
You must have forgotten to change department in Amazon. You were looking in groceries and food, not WMD... Joy__

Nice one, Siasl!
"I live in hope"