!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Is this true about the queen's great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-  (Read 789 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

...great-great-great-great-great cousin Henry the 8th?

It is no secret that the men in the Royal Family have a right royal history of having mistresses...but what I just heard (if it is true) really takes the biscuit for naughty depravity.

And that is that Henry the 8th not only married Anne Boleyn but first also enjoyed a long bit of slap and tickle with Anne Boleyn's mother!

Now I realise that things were different back in those days and a bit of royal randyness might not have raised more than just an eyebrow but, but, but...mother and daughter?.

Is it really true that Henry the 8th had a torrid affair with Anne Boleyn's mother as his mistress?

Anne Boleyn's mother, Elizabeth Boleyn, Countess of Wiltshire.
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
What is a "great cousin"?

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
What is a "great cousin"?

Easy one, Siasl. A great cousin is a cousin several generations back. And Henry the 8th (judging from his size in XL corsets) is a truly 'great' cousin in all respects.

But the question is: Did fatso Henry the 8th also really have an affair with Anne Boleyn's mum Elizabeth before turning his attentions on her young daughter, Anne Boleyn?

Is it true? Or is it a lie?
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
So, "great cousin" is "cousin n-times removed", where "n" is the number of "greats".

Part of that rumour is that he was Anne Boleyn's father, but looking at their birth-dates makes me doubt that - he would've had to have been around 10 years old to accomplish that:
Henry VIII (28 June 1491 28 January 1547)
Anne Boleyn (c. 1501 19 May 1536)

Still, the rumour persists despite Henry's denial, but it may be that folks are confusing her with Elizabeth Blount, who he did dabble with.

He did have an affair with Anne's sister Mary, though.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
So, "great cousin" is "cousin n-times removed", where "n" is the number of "greats".

Part of that rumour is that he was Anne Boleyn's father, but looking at their birth-dates makes me doubt that - he would've had to have been around 10 years old to accomplish that:
Henry VIII (28 June 1491 28 January 1547)
Anne Boleyn (c. 1501 19 May 1536)

Still, the rumour persists despite Henry's denial, but it may be that folks are confusing her with Elizabeth Blount, who he did dabble with.

He did have an affair with Anne's sister Mary, though.

Wasn't Henry the 8th a busy lad! Bumping Anne Boleyn, flattening her sister Mary and dallying with Elizabeth Blount. It beats how he ever found time to battle with the Pope, kick off the Reformation, set up the Church of England and deny writing 'Gleensleeves'.
"I live in hope"