!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Can anybody explain this to me....  (Read 624 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Can anybody explain this to me....
« on: 29 July, 2017, 03:32:59 PM »

I have been researching for a book I am editing and I downloaded an academic article on the history of the film industry in Soho in the 1920s.
The article carried a very strange 'disclaimer' at the top of the page. And I am totally baffled. It said...

"This free content was digitised by double rekeying and sponsored by English Heritage. All rights reserved."

What on earth is 'double rekeying'? And should I care?

Can you help? Is 'double rekeying' important? Is it dangerous? If not, why have this weird 'disclaimer' at all? What does 'double rekeying' actually mean? And what difference does it make?
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: Can anybody explain this to me....
« Reply #1 on: 30 July, 2017, 07:16:06 AM »
Two people transcribe something independently and the two copies are then compared with differences resolved manually.
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/about

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Can anybody explain this to me....
« Reply #2 on: 30 July, 2017, 01:40:06 PM »
Two people transcribe something independently and the two copies are then compared with differences resolved manually.
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/about

Thank you Siasl. So that's all 'double rekeying' means!  It means that someone has taken the care and due diligence to have two independent typists key in their versions and then both are compared for accuracy and to make the definitive version.

Very commendable. Why didn't they jus say so?
"I live in hope"