!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Watching movies on a low-capacity iPad  (Read 728 times)

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Watching movies on a low-capacity iPad
« on: 18 July, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »
We'll be going on holiday shortly, and I'd love to load my old reliable iPad Mini with lots of films to watch whilst we are travelling, but with only an 8GB capacity, that won't fit much.  Are there any ways of adding and removing movies from an iPad whilst out and about that do not require downloading, as we probably won't have wifi?

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Re: Watching movies on a low-capacity iPad
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2017, 10:57:38 PM »
SanDisk sell a flash drive they call iXpand available on Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-iXpand-16-Flash-Drive/dp/B00RBGYG5Q
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2017, 05:30:45 PM »
There's three options:
a) Use a utility such as Handbrake to shrink the films resolution, and thus reduce their size on disk. You should be able to make a film watchable but only take up about 400MB - even less if you/your kids can stand slightly blocky movies. Doing this can take some time, as it'll only do one film at a time.
b) an external drive such as what Cosmos links to
c) if they're only going to use the devices in the coverage of decent wifi, host the films on a server at home - most NAS boxes nowadays will come with streaming servers such as Plex. Note: you'll need good bandwidth between where you are and where the server is! I've not tried it, either, as it requires opening up your NAS box a bit to the outside world. But you say there won't be much wifi, so probably not a flier anyway.
Another possible alternative (not sure about in the Apple space, anyway, fairly sure it can be done in Android) is if your phone has lots of storage and allows the iPad to browse into it over wifi - stick your films in a shared folder.

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 34
  • Helpfulness: 65
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
« Reply #3 on: 22 July, 2017, 10:52:57 AM »
I think the external drive is the best option (thanks, Cosmos!) for my holidays - particularly for watching on the plane!