!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What’s in windscreen washer fluid that makes it work so well?  (Read 686 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

Is it just the same gunk that's in supermarket bottles of window cleaner? Or is there something extra in car windscreen washer fluid that makes it seem to work so much better than ordinary domestic window cleaners?

Would it pay me to clean my house windows, mirrors and picture glass with windscreen washer fluid instead of ordinary window cleaner?

What are the pros and cons?
« Last Edit: 11 September, 2017, 10:17:59 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: What’s is windscreen washer fluid that makes it work so well?
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2017, 10:19:14 AM »
I'll try asking this question another way...Can I use windscreen washer fluid on my house windows, mirrors and picture glass?

What are the pros? And are there any cons?
"I live in hope"

Offline wugu

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
Re: What’s is windscreen washer fluid that makes it work so well?
« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2017, 05:05:16 PM »
Mate, it'll differ from manufacturer to manufacturer but to the best of my belief - it is a common degreasing solution, in a fairly strong concentration, low on salt concentration (why it doesn't streaking).
If you really want to get the embedded grease residues (bugs, road oils, diesel) off the windscreen in a country that has a lot of rain (you know when you driving at night & use your wipers, oncoming headlights turn the screen 'silver', making it impossible to see for a second, that is because of grease residues reflecting the light). Nothing takes it off, except Tollulene (1 of the 't's' in TNT) & some scratch removal cloth I got in S. Africa when I visited. That worked well. I'll ask my brother if he knows it's name & let you know.
But the washer stuff only really will clean off loose oils & bug smears.
It'd be a bit expensive to use on the house windows but will work there, unless if the glass has lime scale (which won't budge ever) in which case use the scratch cloth again. Best of luck