!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: HELP! On my laptop when I try to insert a picture into a Word doc in Windows 7  (Read 719 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
...I keep getting a message saying "An error occurred while importing this file:" or that "The graphic filter was unable to convert this file".

I am completely stumped. I have not deliberately changed any settings lately. Inserting images was working fine a few days ago. All I know is that I urgently need to be able to insert jpegs into Word docs because I am mid-way a project and it is getting pressing.

Can anyone please help me solve this problem of being unable to insert pics in docs? Please!

I have skimmed around the internet looking for solutions but the forums I've looked at don't seem to have the answer.
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Sounds like they are not jpegs, but are instead an image of a different format that is unsupported by Word.

Try opening them in an editor and doing "Save as..." and select png/gif/jpg as the type, save it as a new filename just to make sure. Then import the new file into Word.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Thanks Siasl! The problem has been solved. I was indeed unwittingly trying to import an image in a strange format that Word does not support and that I do not have the necessary filter thingy installed on my laptop.

But that is only half the story...Fortunately for me, a passing computer programmer friend came round for dinner the other night and wagged his finger at me and told me that my problems were probably all my own fault...because I have some very bad habits when working on my laptop. Very bad indeed.

I can't help having these habits because I am beavering away researching and producing this history of Soho, Covent Garden and Fitzrovia book...which means I can have about thirty or more heavily image-laden Word docs open at once...plus anything up to about thirty different websites open simultaneously because I have to dip into one, double check in another, import swathes of text from others like having piles of books open to refer to.

All of which seems to have rammed my laptop into overload and - another thing, because I also tend to have Word docs with unavoidably ridiculously long document titles - I guess it isn't really surprising that my laptop got hot and bothered and started goofing around like a piece of junk.

Since then, I have limited myself to only having four or five websites open and the same number of active Word docs.

All of which seem to have cured my lappie's and Word's jitters and business is back to normal. Ah bliss!
"I live in hope"