!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Do grandparents have a good effect on children in an average family?  (Read 732 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Does interaction with these older relatives have a positive effect when the parents have a good relationship?
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Does interaction with these older relatives have a positive effect when the parents have a good relationship?

I can only speak from my own experience and I'd say a resounding Yes!  My parents were great but I still think that Grandparents, at the very least, give kids a real alternative to flee to.

My grandparents also had the extra benefit of being totally different to my parents - and with a totally different set of skill sets and a different depth of experience, different perspective on time etc (ie wisdom) to draw on.

Grandparents are also usually long retired - and so they're usually not knackered after a bad day at the office or after a yet another diabolical commute on Southern Region trains to stop them wanting to spend good times with demanding grandkids.

More importantly, I think that Grandparents should be revered as the family elders with a vast contribution to make (rather than be shuffled off to the nearest care home).

But I suppose I would say all this because I am a grandparent too now. You could just as equally ask do grandkids have a good effect on grandparents? And I'd answer a just as resounding Yes to that too

« Last Edit: 12 May, 2017, 03:48:10 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
Absolutely!!! The children learn that there are different rules at the grandparents. Different games to play, different skills learned.
the advantage for the grandparents is that they can give the children back.. :)
Our 2 grandsons enjoy coming to us. The 2 and half year old makes a bee line for the cupboard and gets his cars and garage out. The 6 year old wants paper and pencils, helps to feed the cat and generally being a silly boy!
Lovely to see them but lovely to them go so we can get our home back!! ;)
;-)