!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: As the population of the world increases will it be more difficult to tell the  (Read 950 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
the difference between faces?

I've noticed that there already seems to be groups of facial types different than by ethnic origin. Possibly within ethnic groups.
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

Hi Cosmos. Not sure if I fully understand your question. Maybe you could rephrase it? To me, it seems that population growth would simply increase the numbers but not necessarily the looks of faces.

Unless, that is, if the population growth came predominantly  from increases in inter-marriage (or increases in inter-reproducing) ie between parents of different ethnicities.

Then you'd see a melding process occurring - with increasingly less strong recognisability as to the original race, and with correspondingly greater numbers of 'new faces' appearing as international genes mixed up.

But, from what I have seen of black/white marriages and the offspring they produce, I would say that a 'mixed marriage' does not produce one clear type of offspring 'looks' because the permutations of the gene mix are so great that distinctively different faces will continue to be produced.

I am all for more diversity over uniformity and have no problem recognising faces...but, a couple of millennia down the road, maybe things will change?
"I live in hope"

Offline Princess Pops

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0

Then you'd see a melding process occurring - with increasingly less strong recognisability as to the original race, and with correspondingly greater numbers of 'new faces' appearing as international genes mixed up.

I think the more people increase the more variety we should have. I don't know if anyone can remember the idea that everyone has a double. This idea does not rely on any shared genetics. It simply is an idea based on similarity of features. So as one would imagine, an increase in population would mean a more complex and more sophisticated gene mutation. Therefore, we may as P-Kasso2 aforementioned  may not necessarily be able to identify the original race/ethnicity but we will definitely have more faces, some more alike than others.

But we don't need to worry about ever looking alike or even more scarier sharing (read: reproducing) your genetic material with someone as a result of years of mixing.

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
I know that there is a facial type for certain ethnicities . The percentage that have that varies but is usually at least 70%. In some cases, Sudanese for example, that has come about because there was a king that had many (ie thousands of) wives but not in others, for example Basque . These examples indicate to me there is something happens as the population increases . Is it evolution? What would be the evolutionary advantage?
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I know that there is a facial type for certain ethnicities . The percentage that have that varies but is usually at least 70%. In some cases, Sudanese for example, that has come about because there was a king that had many (ie thousands of) wives but not in others, for example Basque . These examples indicate to me there is something happens as the population increases . Is it evolution? What would be the evolutionary advantage?

I'd say it'd be an evolutionary advantage - otherwise we'd all look like Neanderthals. Not a pretty thought.
"I live in hope"