!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Nostalgia trip...Where can I buy Sarsaprilla?  (Read 2242 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Nostalgia trip...Where can I buy Sarsaprilla?
« on: 08 April, 2017, 10:02:20 AM »
When I was little kid growing up in Lambeth in the heady days before Cocoa Cola and power drinks, my dad always used to buy me a glass of hot Sarsaparilla on a Saturday morning from a wooden stall that used to stand in East Street market (aka 'going up the East Lane' for some reason) not far from London's Walworth Road.

It was a great treat to wrap my little mittens round a glass of piping hot Sarsaparilla on a cold winter's day and I thought it tasted really great, even better than Tizer which Sarsaparilla sort of looked like colour-wise. Now I am suddenly getting nostalgic cravings to taste it again, probably to see if I still think it tastes so uber wonderful.

But big problem! While the street market is still there, the Sarsaparilla stall in East Lane is as long gone as white spats and celluloid collars.

Is Sarsaparilla still available anywhere? Can anyone please tell me where can I get some?
Needless to say, I'd prefer it hot, but will settle (only slightly reluctantly) for cold Sarsaparilla.
« Last Edit: 08 April, 2017, 10:10:09 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Maria Montessori
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Re: Nostalgia trip...Where can I buy Sarsaprilla?
« Reply #1 on: 08 April, 2017, 07:13:56 PM »
A company called Mawson's still make it - I have a bottle in my kitchen, a regular Christmas present from my mum! 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mawsons-Sarsaparilla-Cordial-500-Pack/dp/B00CP3DK2K

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2017, 10:38:01 PM »
Thanks for your link, Duff. Oh how my little heart tap danced with expectation! I clicked. I saw. I read. I wept...because what I got is this sad message....

Mawsons Sarsaparilla Cordial 500 ml (Pack of 4) 

4.4 out of 5 stars    7 customer reviews

Currently unavailable.  We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

Anybody got any other ideas while I sit here sobbing waiting for Mawson's to find out when, and if, this item will be back in stock? If ever?
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2017, 12:12:43 PM »
Tesco https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=250199560&sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*PX+%7C+Shopping+GSC+%7C+Top+Offers*PRODUCT+GROUP250199560*&gclid=CIuG5t7gmdMCFUwz0wodJ_wERg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Asda https://groceries.asda.com/product/35671160?&cmpid=ppc-_-ghs-_--_-google-_--_-dskwid-s92700013661795697_dc

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2017, 06:35:23 PM »
Tesco https://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=250199560&sc_cmp=ppc*GHS+-+Grocery+-+New*PX+%7C+Shopping+GSC+%7C+Top+Offers*PRODUCT+GROUP250199560*&gclid=CIuG5t7gmdMCFUwz0wodJ_wERg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Asda https://groceries.asda.com/product/35671160?&cmpid=ppc-_-ghs-_--_-google-_--_-dskwid-s92700013661795697_dc

Thank you Heels! I shall despatch Mrs P-K forthwith to our local Tesco!  But but but...hold it! What's this I spy on the Tesco link? Stap me vittles with a test tube! It's an ingredients' list...

Ingredients:

Water, Sugar, Acids (Citric Acid, Acetic Acid), Colour (Sulphite Ammonia Caramel), Flavourings (including Sarsaparilla Extract), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Sweetener (Sodium Saccharin).

Oh no! And there was I dreaming of the natural Sarsaparilla of my youth in those balmy days before additives and colouringings and acids. 60 years ago I recall that the bloke who sold hot Sarsaparilla used to brew his own fresh every day. He may well have dropped fag ash in it while he was stirring but at least it was natural.

ASDA's Sarsaparilla is just the same - the ingredients read like an A level chemistry exam.

Is there any way to buy Sarsaparilla roots or whatever it is made from and brew my own?
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #5 on: 12 April, 2017, 07:19:16 AM »
http://www.justingredients.co.uk/sarsaparilla.html?gclid=CJ7xhOehntMCFcfgGwod3bQK5A

http://www.justingredients.co.uk/sarsaparilla-powder.html

And "SWAGGER SARSAPARILLA II

Here's another version of my sarsaparilla. It has real frothy foam! The recipe is for one gallon. If you are making five gallons, the appropriate quantities are in parenthesis.

• 8 TBS DRIED SARSAPARILLA ROOT (2 ½ CUPS)
• 2 TBS SASSAFRAS ROOT (1/2 CUP + 2 TBS)
• 2 CUPS SUGAR (10 CUPS)
• 2 TSP VANILLA EXTRACT (3 TBS + 1 TSP)
• 1/8 TSP ALE YEAST
• 1 GAL WATER (5 GAL)

1. Place sarsaparilla and sassafras in 8 cups of water and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and let cool for 30 mins.
3. Place yeast into ¼ cup of boiled/cooled water for 15 mins.
4. Strain wort then add sugar and vanilla. Place in a bath of cold water to reduce temp.
5. Add 8 cups of cool water to bottling bucket. Add wort to bucket.
6. Mix in yeast and bottle. "

Above recipe from: http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=53650

...and before you ask https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joannas-Garden-Sassafras-root-100g/dp/B009EAHUD2

But in all honesty for the price of the ingredients and that sassafras is possibly carcinogenic I'd try the shop-bought one in the first instance....but that's just me.
« Last Edit: 12 April, 2017, 07:21:00 AM by Hiheels »

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2017, 10:46:31 PM »

Very big thanks for the links, Heels! Looks like it is pretty easy to brew Sarsaparilla - except for that one bit where you say about sassafras being possibly carcinogenic. Not good. Definitely, decidedly not good. But then there are claims elsewhere that Sarsaparilla isactually  a cancer inhibitor. What to think?

For example, I just found a site that says....

"Benefits of Sarsaparilla

1. Contains Anti-Tumor and Cancer-Preventative Properties

Certain studies have found evidence of at least 24 extracts obtained within the roots, stems, leaves and fruits of wild sarsaparilla plants that help naturally treat or prevent cancer. (3) The majority of the pharmacological benefits are attributed to its concentration of natural steroids and saponins, which help with the absorption of other drugs or herbs, reduce inflammatory effects, and have other anti-aging properties.

According to research done at the University of Queensland in Australia, sarsaparilla contains at least five steroidal saponins, including two newly discovered furostanol saponins known as sarsaparilloside B and sarsaparilloside C. These saponins have been found to have antiproliferative activities that help to kill cancer cells, especially those that affect the lining of the colon. (4)

Sarsaparilla also contains dozens of other anti-inflammatory, antioxidant acids, oils and chemicals that lower oxidative stress and have anti-aging effects. Studies conducted at Peking University Cancer Hospital and Institute in China found that flavonoids, alkaloids and phenylpropanoids were some of the major bioactive components identified within wild sarsaparilla that induce apoptosis and have growth-inhibitory effects without damaging healthy cells. (5)"

Admittedly, that was from a site called Dr Axe...https://draxe.com/sarsaparilla/ and I must admit that I worry slightly about the provenance of the advice from sites with goofy names like Dr Axe.

I'll just have to re-think my new brewing career, especially, as you say, the ingredients are way pricey. I'll nip in to a herbalist store next time I'm in megalopolis Brighton (here's bugger herb-wise here all in Lewes).

My second moan is that I only need small quantities (like a couple of cupsful at most) and, having just had a quick flip round the Net, every time I've seen Sarsaparilla root powder for sale it has been in kilo quantities. For about 35 quid a kilo. Whoa. Makes me think. Maybe I'll stick to Pinot Grigio.

Much as I really like Sarsaparilla, I don't think even I'll ever be able to drink that much Sarsaparilla.

Time for a Plan B methinks.

"I live in hope"