!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How can this possibly be possible?  (Read 883 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
How can this possibly be possible?
« on: 27 March, 2017, 04:12:49 PM »
Isn't science amazing? I have just been astounded to be told that doctors can use the discarded foreskins of circumcised infants to grow skin for burn victims.

Even more eye-wateringly surprising is that just one foreskin can create 23,000 square meters of skin.

Blimey! Is it true?
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: How can this possibly be possible?
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2017, 01:34:44 PM »
Sorry, I'm not going to fall for your trick and google that while at work!!!

I can imagine it works, put a fragment of skin in some kind of nutrient solution and it may well grow quite a lot. There may well need to be some blood-type matching to prevent rejection by the host, but it's probably only a temporary coating of skin anyway, as skin cells fall off over time.

Ethically, I have to raise an issue as the infant has no choice in the matter as it is not likely that the circumcision was medically necessary, and I seem to recall reading that a lot of folks performing these procedures aren't medically trained (happy to be corrected though).

Offline Princess Pops

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2017, 01:29:11 PM »
Blimey! Is it true?

It seems so I am afraid. Turns out, circumcised foreskins have long and fascinating lives after they part ways with their original owners. They’re used for everything from cosmetics to scientific studies. The infant’s foreskin has special cell properties, similar to those found in stem cells. Their versatility means that they can be used to cultivate skin cells. Because of this, they’re not tossed out with the rest of the medical waste after a birth. Instead, hospitals sell them to companies and institutions for a wide variety of uses. Companies will pay thousands of dollars for a single foreskin. This according to Babble

Offline Princess Pops

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »
Ethically, I have to raise an issue as the infant has no choice in the matter as it is not likely that the circumcision was medically necessary

This is also one of my concerns as well. I am also not sure if the procedure is possible with adult foreskin or at least at the time when the ower can consent to donating their foreskin to science.