!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Is it OK to freeze live uncooked mussels in their shells?  (Read 786 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

I've just googled myself to death trying to find a unanimous answer to "Can I freeze live uncooked mussels?" and the internet's general consensus is a resounding yes, no, well maybe, ah but then again maybe not. Result? I don't know what to think.

So, to cut through the cyberfog, can anyone tell me (especially if they have any personal experience of freezing uncooked mussels) is it or is it not advisable to freeze live uncooked mussels?
And is freezing any uncooked live shellfish, such as clams for example, a good, bad or toxic idea? 

As a secondary question, how about freezing already-cooked mussels at home? I always seem to make too many so I have leftover mussels and plenty of that that mussel soupy stuff left over. Any special tricks worth noting?
"I live in hope"