!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Turner painted this waterfall in Yorkshire...Is it still there?  (Read 980 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

This Turner painting is called "Fall of the Trees, Yorkshire". In the Tate Gallery I think. Or the National.

The trouble is I can't find out where this waterfall called "Fall of the Trees" actually is in Yorkshire. It looks so impressive I'm sure I would have heard of it before. But I haven't. Does it exist? Did it ever exist? Was it just artistic licence? Can anyone shed any light?

Is this waterfall maybe known by some other name in Yorkshire? What is its name? I'd love to go and see these falls in Yorkshire and compare my impression of it with Turner's. Anybody know anything about waterfalls in Yorkshire?
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: Turner painted this waterfall in Yorkshire...Is it still there?
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2017, 10:49:02 AM »
Apparently it is here:
https://goo.gl/maps/mSuxBAWzN5z

The waterfall is named "High Force" on the river Tees in the Pennines. From the maps pictures, it seems quite a popular location to visit.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Turner painted this waterfall in Yorkshire...Is it still there?
« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2017, 05:37:17 PM »
Apparently it is here:
https://goo.gl/maps/mSuxBAWzN5z

The waterfall is named "High Force" on the river Tees in the Pennines. From the maps pictures, it seems quite a popular location to visit.

Cheers, Siasl. And it certainly looks pretty impressive. Not quite as muckle as Niagara Falls but who cares? It proves that Turner obviously wasn't lying! And I know where I'll be spending my summer holidays next year.
"I live in hope"