!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: A question about high heels….  (Read 1004 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
A question about high heels….
« on: 20 February, 2017, 11:05:13 AM »

That is ‘high heels’ as in the footwear...not ‘Hi Heels’ as in the much loved diva of IA and beyond…
My local butcher, Mike, was busily chatting to an extremely saftig blonde customer while I was quietly queuing up for my faggots the other day. And I really couldn’t help eavesdropping and jotting down a few notes. I overheard Mike the Butcher saying “Butchers centuries ago invented high heels, you know”.

He went on to tell Blonde Customer that, way before the Great Fire of London, “Butchers needed high heels to stop themselves wading through blood”. Sounded like a possibility to me.

But is this just a butcher’s myth? Or is there a sliver of truth in it? Personally I have always thought high heels were invented in the Middle Ages by clever cavalrymen to keep medieval knights' feet from slipping out of their stirrups.

Butchers versus medieval horsemen? Who do you reckon did invent high heels?
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Maria Montessori
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Re: A question about high heels….
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2017, 01:57:30 PM »
I did some work for an exhibition about historic costume, and stirrups were the reason the curators gave me for the development of higher heels - it enabled the rider to secure himself better in the stirrups.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: A question about high heels….
« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2017, 07:01:47 PM »
I did some work for an exhibition about historic costume, and stirrups were the reason the curators gave me for the development of higher heels - it enabled the rider to secure himself better in the stirrups.

I agree, Duff. HiHeels (who has to be the acknowledged expert in this subject) said pretty much the same thing to me about a year or so ago. She said exactly what you just said...That high heels were developed to keep medieval boots firmly stuck in medieval stirrups.  I take her words as gospel. But you do have to admire the chutzpah of the average Sussex butcher.

QED?
"I live in hope"