!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: I had a eureka moment while cleaning my teeth this morning....  (Read 978 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

I have always used warm water for cleaning my teeth in…
I don't know why but this morning I suddenly started to wonder if maybe, just maybe, I have got things wrong all these years.

Is warm or cold water best for cleaning your teeth in? Or doesn’t it make any difference whatsoever?
"I live in hope"

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
Re: I had a eureka moment while cleaning my teeth this morning....
« Reply #1 on: 26 January, 2017, 01:01:39 PM »
You shouldn't be using water at all..
You should be putting the toothpaste on a dry brush, brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes, then spit out the foam. The remaining foam in the mouth helps to protect the teeth and gums and can be safely swallowed. The use of water to rinse the mouth negates the usefulness of the remaining foam.

At least that's what one of our hygienists says. :)
;-)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 26 January, 2017, 01:40:22 PM »
You shouldn't be using water at all..
You should be putting the toothpaste on a dry brush, brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes, then spit out the foam. The remaining foam in the mouth helps to protect the teeth and gums and can be safely swallowed. The use of water to rinse the mouth negates the usefulness of the remaining foam.

At least that's what one of our hygienists says. :)

Use a dry toothbrush? Strewth! That'd mean starting off cleaning your teeth with rock-hard bristles on the toothbrush. They'd be like little iron spikes. And that can't be good for anyone's gums, especially not for sensitive gums.

I think that all your hygienist is doing is using spit to replace tap water. And I can't see why.

Spit is really quite warm, around 37 degrees C (make that 98.6 degrees F for any Brexiters lurking on IA).

All told, I think your hygienist is recommending warm liquid...It's just a question of what kind of warm liquid? Spit or tap?
"I live in hope"

Offline Princess Pops

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2017, 12:38:59 PM »
I always think rinsing your mouth and brush first with warm water is good to loosen up any dirt in your mouth and possible toothbrush too. I think warm water is generally  much more hygienic that cold water and it softens up everything from gums to bristles.