!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: As a rule would a Direct Debit set up for Council Tax count as "active" for...  (Read 273 times)

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
...most companies' T&Cs as of course there are two months each year when payments aren't taken?

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 83
  • Helpfulness: 127
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
I'd have thought so - I have a DD set up that is paid 3 times a year that I consider "active".

Did you switch and they ballsed up transferring that one?

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
Nope, all good, just the last time I switched banks it would have been a month in which it would have gone out and so I was just checking for the next time I look around for switching deals.
I've seen something somewhere that said it had to be a DD from which a payment had been made within X months so it looks like they do count Coucil Tax and are, of course, aware it's not 12 months of a year.

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 43
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
DDs remain on your account even if not being paid. It doesn't matter if its paid once a year or every month.
The one thing to be careful of are companies that renew the DD every year. I've got one that paid a 3 year insurance on my fridge. They recently sent me a renewal that I don't want to take up but the DD is still on my account with the same reference number. It's ALWAYS best to cancel any old DDs that you no longer pay from.

With regards to your query about the fact that council tax (and water) are paid for 10 months, then if it's dd then there is no problem but if it's a Standing Order then you'd have to set it up and after 10 months change the amount to 1p to keep it active or stop it and restart in the new year.
;-)