!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: I'm thinking of changing gas suppliers - anyone here with Scottish Power and..  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
..has personal experience of their service?
It would mean paying by direct debit for the first time as I usually only pay to a bill, but of course the potential savings are attractive. Having said that, the potential pitfalls are large in that a set amount will be taken over which I would have little control beforehand (I know I can ask for a credit to be repaid etc). Anyone here with them and had any experience of either good or bad service?

I'm just after personal experience of Scottish Power if anyone has any, I don't need the concept explained as I've done some research - ta!

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Oh good god yes - it was an absolute nightmare!  I would never recommend them - we 'inherited' them as a supplier when we moved house, and even though we switched suppliers in October, have only just had a real final bill from them - they are a nightmare if anything isn't running smoothly.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

Does all this switching of power suppliers really have much advantage for the consumer?  From what I personally know (particularly in the case of EDF) all this constant churning of electricity or gas accounts simply adds more clerical work for the power companies - who naturally then need to add extra staff to deal with all the extra work - which then adds to their already high payroll costs - which the power companies promptly pass straight on to the consumer in the form of...guess what? Higher electricity and gas prices!

Who wins at the end of the day?
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Utility suppliers rely on lethargy to make their greatest profits - the customer who doesn't shop around pays significantly more for exactly the same product, and for the moment, that clearly outweighs the additional admin of those people who are swapping suppliers, or they would keep everyone on the best value plan with a regular review automatically.  In reality, it is more likely to be older people who don't have the same access to technology and switching sites that suffer with this - and that's ridiculous.

All the switching has done is stop these companies from being quite so arrogant about it - they can no longer knock your bills up needlessly each year to maximise profits, as people will just move away from them.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Utility suppliers rely on lethargy to make their greatest profits - the customer who doesn't shop around pays significantly more for exactly the same product, and for the moment, that clearly outweighs the additional admin of those people who are swapping suppliers, or they would keep everyone on the best value plan with a regular review automatically.  In reality, it is more likely to be older people who don't have the same access to technology and switching sites that suffer with this - and that's ridiculous.

All the switching has done is stop these companies from being quite so arrogant about it - they can no longer knock your bills up needlessly each year to maximise profits, as people will just move away from them.

I hadn't thought of that, Duff. I must admit that I didn't exactly fall off my stool at the fact that capitalism-driven/shareholder-driven  power companies protect their own best interests instead of giving two hoots about the interests of elderly people scrimping along on a pension or single parent families barely surviving on benefits.
I'd like to see Parliament passing legislation that forces all power companies to automatically move customers onto the lowest tariff being offered. But don't hold your breath on that occurring any time soon. Droves of Gloucester Old Spots flying over Westminster has to happen first.
« Last Edit: 09 January, 2017, 12:11:06 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
I can save over £80 per year...and I know that's fact as the companies display their tariff information and I'm saving £60 of that on the standing charge alone.
Whether I find the nightmare made real like Duff has remains to be seen, but if it's all hassle free it'll be worth it and, if not, I can soon shop around again at the end of the term.

Bit of supplementary information folks may not be aware of is that if your energy plan has an exit fee, the company cannot enforce it if you're within 50 days of your scheduled end date.

I'd encourage fellow IAers to just run their figs through the site, it's free and there's no sign up - see if you can save anything https://www.energyhelpline.com/fri/

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
I check mine via Money Saving Expert's Cheap Energy CLub. When you've registered they alert you if there's a cheaper rate you can take advantage of.
I took advantage of their locked in rate with British Gas. Cheaper until March of this year. Then I'll be looking around again.
;-)

Offline Hiheels

• Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
I check mine via Money Saving Expert's Cheap Energy CLub. When you've registered they alert you if there's a cheaper rate you can take advantage of.
I took advantage of their locked in rate with British Gas. Cheaper until March of this year. Then I'll be looking around again.

Exactly the same as me, Tec, except I'm going the other way (away from British Gas). I've had no hassle with them whatsoever, but if I can save dosh that'll sway me just about every time  :D

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
I'm with Scottish Power at the moment - it was the best deal offered on the u Switch website at the time. I've no doubt there are better deals now available - so when I feel the time is right I'll pick the best of the bunch again.
happy new year y'all
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
Back atcha on the felicitations, Ant.
Yep, like your good self and Tec, I don't believe in loyalty when none is shown the other way. If prices dropped the longer you were with someone then fine, but if they're going to effectively pay me to switch then switch I shall  ;D