!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Whatever happened to Twiglets?  (Read 1835 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Whatever happened to Twiglets?
« on: 07 February, 2017, 08:57:51 PM »
Are they still sold? Have their sales stayed as high as they used to be in the breathless 60s and 70s? Or plummeted?

I don't see them in the supermarkets here in Lewes (but I must admit I am not particularly looking out for them). Are Twiglets still there on supermarket shelves?

When was the last time you ate one?

Are they socially unacceptable these days? Too naff by half?

Or will they suddenly make a retro mega boom comeback?

Whatever happened to Twiglets?
« Last Edit: 07 February, 2017, 09:00:24 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Re: Whatever happened to Twiglets?
« Reply #1 on: 08 February, 2017, 09:05:16 AM »
Definitely still available, and a family favourite in our house, despite an unfortunate incident a few years ago involving a slug crawling into an open bag during a camping trip (and not being discovered until the following evening, when I'd continued to munch them).

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 08 February, 2017, 02:01:26 PM »
Definitely still available, and a family favourite in our house, despite an unfortunate incident a few years ago involving a slug crawling into an open bag during a camping trip (and not being discovered until the following evening, when I'd continued to munch them).

Duff, there's one thing worse than finding a slug in your Twiglets...and that's finding half a slug in your Twiglets. Euuuch!

But jollity aside, back to my questionette - Any idea if sales of Twiglets are still at their peak or have they seriously plummeted compared to sales figures in their heyday?

PS I've just found this website talking about Twiglets even Tangy Worcester Sauce flavour Twiglets. Now, what happened to them? I never even heard of them before I saw this website.

https://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/rholland/entry/worcester_sauce_tangy/

Am ploughing through the website and will report back any interesting info. Watch this space, Twigleteers!

« Last Edit: 08 February, 2017, 02:07:27 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 08 February, 2017, 02:36:00 PM »

Ah! The wonders of the Internet! Just found the recipe for making your own Twiglets at home!  Yay!!!!

The ingredients are all dead simple to get. You probably have most of them already (except maybe the yeast and you can get that in the supermarket baking section).

This recipe says it makes about 28 Twiglets but you can always double, treble or quadruple the amounts if you are an addict. Try it yourself...apparently it is a bit fiddly but it's good fun for kids to help make too.

Original recipe found on Cook It With Kids website at ....
http://cookitwithkids.co.uk/homemade-twiglets/

125g strong white flour
1/4 teaspoon dried yeast
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon olive oil (plus extra for greasing)
1 tablespoon Marmite

• Mix the flour, yeast, salt & sugar in a bowl

• Make a well in the centre and add the olive oil and a drizzle of warm water

• Stir and continue adding water until you have a moist, slightly sticky dough

• Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for five minutes until it feels smooth and elastic

• Put back into the bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave to prove for half an hour

• Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a baking tray with a generous drizzle of olive oil

• Split the dough into two pieces and wrap one half in cling film to freeze and use at a later date

• Break off small pieces of the remaining dough and on a clean & dry (but not floured, you need a bit of grip) surface and roll the pieces of dough into very thin sausages

• Cut the sausages into six inch sections and lay them on the baking tray

• Heat the Marmite in the microwave for a few seconds so it goes runny

• Using a teaspoon drizzle the tray of Twiglets with the Marmite (don’t worry if you make a mess)

• Bake for 10 minutes until crisp, then whilst they’re still warm carefully transfer them to a wire rack to cool

"I live in hope"