!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: First Tuesday in November! What is the British equivalent of the Melbourne Cup?  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Every year on the first Tuesday of November Australians stop whatever they are doing to watch / listen to the running of the Melbourne Cup horse race. In Victoria, where Melbourne is located, there is a Public Holiday.
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
No holiday attached, but possible the Grand National in April is closest - even folk who never go near horses usually have a punt on the National.

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Second place may well go to the Gold Cup in Cheltenham, which is certainly very popular amongst the Irish and locals. With a lot of the multi-day racing festivals, Ladies Day is quite the party, I'm told.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Second place may well go to the Gold Cup in Cheltenham, which is certainly very popular amongst the Irish and locals. With a lot of the multi-day racing festivals, Ladies Day is quite the party, I'm told.

Errm, Siasl...Mrs P-K politely asks me to ask you what's all this guff about "second place may well go to the Gold Cup in Cheltenham"? As an ex-Cheltenham College for Ladies gel she has exceptionally fond and startlingly vivid memories of bunking over the college walls to continue her education by attending the Cheltenham Gold Cup on many an occasion.

Equally. hordes of innocent race-goers and assorted paddies at the Cheltenham Gold Cup have vivid memories of her majestically upside down, legs waving, Janet Reager knickers akimbo, in the iced champagne barrel in the Moet Chandon hospitality tent at Chelters.

She swears that, by comparison, the boring and staid Grand National is nothing compared to the Cheltenham Gold Cup...the CGC is, and always incontrovertibly has been, Britain's most esteemed and most glorious answer to the Melbourne Cup, especially in the booze swilling stakes for pedigree fillies.
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Lol. Indeed, my wife would agree with your wife.