!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What is the Rosetta Stone actually about?  (Read 1307 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
What is the Rosetta Stone actually about?
« on: 19 October, 2016, 07:56:16 PM »
Like most people I know that the Rosetta Stone contains the same text written in three different ancient alphabets, Greek being one of them which enabled savvy archaeologists to decode the previously indecipherable other two.

But like most people I don't know what the Rosetta Stone is about.

What does the Rosetta Stone actually say? Is it a love story? A guide book? Is it even worth reading?
« Last Edit: 19 October, 2016, 08:11:45 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
Re: What is the Rosetta Stone actually about?
« Reply #1 on: 26 November, 2016, 10:38:53 AM »

It's been a good couple of months without an answer so may I ask again? What sort of story do the inscriptions on the Rosetta stone actually relate? Is there a good translation of it somewhere out there on the Net?
"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2016, 08:27:44 AM »

Oh go on! Someone answer this before the year is out. Please.
"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2017, 11:17:34 AM »
It's OK. You can all rest easy now. I've found the answer myself. Written in three different early languages, the Rosetta Stone is a text written by a group of priests in Egypt to honour the Egyptian pharaoh. It lists all of the things that the pharaoh has done that are good for the priests and the people of Egypt.

The three languages are the hieroglyphic which was the script used for important or religious documents in Egypt at the time. Plus Demotic which was the common script of Egypt. And, finally, the third was Greek which was the language of the rulers of Egypt at that time.

The Rosetta Stone is all about pretty dull stuff, apparently. Read all about it in the full translation of the text of the Rosetta Stone on...http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/trs/trs07.htm

There are also some interesting facts about it on...http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/writing/rosetta.html
« Last Edit: 20 February, 2017, 11:22:57 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"