!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Which authors have been as prolific as John Creasey?  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Which authors have been as prolific as John Creasey?
« on: 30 August, 2016, 02:08:32 AM »
Have any had such a large number of pseudonyms?
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
Re: Which authors have been as prolific as John Creasey?
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2016, 08:09:51 AM »
How many of each has John Creasey had?

Stephen King has published 55 novels, six non-fiction and 200 short stories, but whether that compares anywhere near I don't know.
Only one pseudonym, though, so he's no doubt behind on that. He just sprang to mind as fairly prolific.

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2016, 10:16:53 AM »
Wiki says Creasey published "over 600 novels" with 28 pseudonyms, which cheerfully sails past Mr King :)

However, Creasey is sailing past in a little outboard motorboat, while the glorious steamboat named Dame Barbara Cartland powers past with her 723 novels, 23 of which were written in one year to get that world record. Despite being dead (for 16 years now), she's still publishing new works, too, with her backlog of 160 novels gradually being released.

Saying that, though, lurking around is the dreadnaught named Philip M Parker, who has allegedly published over 200,000 books. You might wonder how he finds the time to scribble down all these words, and he didn't. Instead he wrote a computer program to compile them, so you might regard him as a bit of a sneak, in this regard.

Can't find anything with regard to an author using the most pseudonyms, though.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »
Wiki says Creasey published "over 600 novels" with 28 pseudonyms, which cheerfully sails past Mr King :)

However, Creasey is sailing past in a little outboard motorboat, while the glorious steamboat named Dame Barbara Cartland powers past with her 723 novels, 23 of which were written in one year to get that world record. Despite being dead (for 16 years now), she's still publishing new works, too, with her backlog of 160 novels gradually being released.

Saying that, though, lurking around is the dreadnaught named Philip M Parker, who has allegedly published over 200,000 books. You might wonder how he finds the time to scribble down all these words, and he didn't. Instead he wrote a computer program to compile them, so you might regard him as a bit of a sneak, in this regard.

Can't find anything with regard to an author using the most pseudonyms, though.

Siasl, I loved your "the glorious steamboat named Dame Barbara Cartland"  Visions of pink frllly battleships steaming over the horizon sprang to mind.

But who is this Philip M Parker geezer? 200,000 books? A fifth of a million books? Never heard of him. The question is How many books has he actually sold? How many readers has he had? I've never seen his name in any best sellers lists. Not one. Has anyone else?

I was thinking of Isaac Asimov as my candidate for writing most books - he's written over 500 books - not just novels but hefty scientific books too. Prolific is his middle name.
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2016, 11:56:21 AM »
Siasl, I loved your "the glorious steamboat named Dame Barbara Cartland"  Visions of pink frllly battleships steaming over the horizon sprang to mind.

But who is this Philip M Parker geezer? 200,000 books? A fifth of a million books? Never heard of him. The question is How many books has he actually sold? How many readers has he had? I've never seen his name in any best sellers lists. Not one. Has anyone else?

I was thinking of Isaac Asimov as my candidate for writing most books - he's written over 500 books - not just novels but hefty scientific books too. Prolific is his middle name.

[pedant-mode]Asimov had no middle name[/pedant-mode]
Unfortunately I couldn't find any images of a pink frilly boat of any sort (although some slightly risque images did pop up!) for Babs.

As for Phil, Amazon don't hold all his catalog, but it does hold quite a few (at least 75K of them). It's also claimed elsewhere that he's "written" 800,000 books. Can't imagine what his sales volumes are - a lot of them are e-books or print-on-demand.

You might be entertained/enlightened by this video which explains things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkS5PkHQphY
Apparently it costs about 12c in electricity to generate a book, so every sale puts him ahead. His most popular works might sell in the hundreds, and there are a lot sold in the dozens - apparently mostly to medical libraries.
« Last Edit: 30 August, 2016, 12:02:49 PM by siasl »

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2016, 12:29:22 PM »

[pedant-mode]Asimov had no middle name[/pedant-mode]
Unfortunately I couldn't find any images of a pink frilly boat of any sort (although some slightly risque images did pop up!) for Babs.

As for Phil, Amazon don't hold all his catalog, but it does hold quite a few (at least 75K of them). It's also claimed elsewhere that he's "written" 800,000 books. Can't imagine what his sales volumes are - a lot of them are e-books or print-on-demand.

You might be entertained/enlightened by this video which explains things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkS5PkHQphY
Apparently it costs about 12c in electricity to generate a book, so every sale puts him ahead. His most popular works might sell in the hundreds, and there are a lot sold in the dozens - apparently mostly to medical libraries.

Looks like a gripping video Siasl. I could only dip a toe into it because I have to skid out now and will give it a proper watching this evening. Thanks for the digging!
"I live in hope"