!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: I've been told that London boasts the tallest free-standing column in the world.  (Read 1148 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

Where in London is it?
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
"The Monument stands in Monument Street off Fish Street Hill and Pudding Lane in the City of London.

Designed by Sir Christopher Wren and Robert Hooke, the monument was built between 1671 and 1677 to commemorate the Great Fire of 1666, the Monument is the tallest free standing monument in the world."
All from https://notjustagranny.wordpress.com/tag/tallest-freestanding-column-in-the-world/

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
"The Monument stands in Monument Street off Fish Street Hill and Pudding Lane in the City of London.

Designed by Sir Christopher Wren and Robert Hooke, the monument was built between 1671 and 1677 to commemorate the Great Fire of 1666, the Monument is the tallest free standing monument in the world."
All from https://notjustagranny.wordpress.com/tag/tallest-freestanding-column-in-the-world/

Not just a granny? What a gem of a website! I don't know where you find 'em, Heels, I really don't. That website really brought out the granny in me. I look forward to the weather taking a turn for the worse so I can turn to my new 'rainy day' website.
 Gd_pst
And it confirmed that my friend was right in  saying the Monument is the tallest stone column in the world.

I climbed it once when I was a kid bunking off school on my year of discovery digging into the museums and weird and wonderful bits of London.

When I finally got gaspingly back down those 311 steps up and down the Monument I didn't get a certificate though! Just got an icy stare from the attendant and a frosty "Shouldn't you be at school, sonny?"

Little did he know I was embarking on my lifetime philosophy of 'never letting my studies get in the way of my education'.
"I live in hope"