!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: A question about Olympic swimmers....  (Read 1213 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
A question about Olympic swimmers....
« on: 08 August, 2016, 07:49:46 PM »

Male swimmers.                                                   Female swimmers.

Have you spotted the difference yet? While I was glued to the telly watching the Rio Olympics, a couple of odd thoughts suddenly struck me. First I noticed that men swimmers no longer wear natty little skimpy Speedos. Instead they wear knee-length costumes now. It's apparently because these snazzy new knee-length cozzies create less water resistance than skin and so the swimmers go faster.

Then I noticed that women are now wearing knee-length cozzies too. But their costumes cover their entire upper bodies as well.

Question: If the women's cozzies create so much less water resistance than skin, then why don't male swimmers wear all-over onesie cozzies like the women do?

Is there an Olympic rule against it? Or are there any good scientific reasons why the men don't wear full body costumes?

On a more gleeful note, shouldn't there also be a rule that female swimmers only wear cozzies like the men's cozzies?
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
Re: A question about Olympic swimmers....
« Reply #1 on: 13 August, 2016, 10:27:57 AM »
Following the LZR Racer example, alternative non-textile suits have been introduced by other companies in 2008. Some of them like the Arena X-Glide, Jaked01 and Adidas Hydrofoil were entirely made of polyurethane.[24] By 24 August 2009, more than 130 world records had been broken by swimmers wearing non-textile suits, and more than 90 of them were set with the LZR

Now banned

In 2009 FINA ( Fédération internationale de natation[a] (English: International Swimming Federation) is the international federation recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC)[1] for administering international competition in Aquatics)
voted almost unanimously to revert its previous policy and ban all body-length swimsuits. . The new policy states that men's swimsuits may maximally cover the area from the waist to the knee, and women's counterparts from the shoulder to the knee.
« Last Edit: 13 August, 2016, 10:44:47 AM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: A question about Olympic swimmers....
« Reply #2 on: 13 August, 2016, 12:13:32 PM »
Now banned

In 2009 FINA...voted almost unanimously to revert its previous policy and ban all body-length swimsuits. . The new policy states that men's swimsuits may maximally cover the area from the waist to the knee, and women's counterparts from the shoulder to the knee.

Banned? Rats!!! For a minute I really thought I was on to a brilliant idea there. That's another sure-fire little money maker down the drain!

It's even worse news about the women's costume ruling though. Equality with the men in costume size could have done wonders for women's 400 metre breast stroke as a spectator sport.
"I live in hope"