!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What is that thing called that looks like two handles joined together...  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
...that they sling behind a racehorse's bum if it's reluctant to get into the starting stalls?

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
I think it's called a giddyupper.
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I think it's called a giddyupper.

Great name and great answer! But... Google (The All Knowing) doesn't even seem to have heard of the giddyupper let alone recognise it as the greatest invention since champagne tents at horserace meetings.

I hereby propose a petition on Facebook to nudge the Oxford English Dictionary into adding 'Giddyupper. (Noun). Two handed thingywotsit for getting expensive racehorses with cold feet into the starting stalls. Etymology uncertain. Believed to be Australian.' to its illustrious pages forthwith!
« Last Edit: 04 August, 2016, 09:08:59 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
Sooo, anyone know what it IS called?

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

I just called a friend who is into racing trotting horses and is no stranger to race tracks. And she said that they just say "Where's the bum strap?" But she loved the idea of it being called the giddyupper.
"I live in hope"