!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Can a DNA test on cheese tell which cow the cheese comes from?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

I was just mulling this over. Just lately I've been getting more and more bemused by how our society (or at least the most avid shoppers in it) seems to want to know the source of absolutely everything in the supermarket.

Take the cheese section, for example. Could a DNA test identify the roots of a lump of Camembert or Reblochon right back to the specific happy little cow munching on grass somewhere in deepest France that the milk originally came from?
« Last Edit: 26 June, 2016, 04:52:33 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline moonzero2

• One of the original IQunion
  • Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
  • Helpfulness: 16
  • Military intelligence is an oxymoron
Re: Can a DNA test on cheese tell which cow the cheese comes from?
« Reply #1 on: 09 November, 2016, 10:25:50 PM »
only if the cheese was made from the milk of only one cow I would have thought.

Not a practical option in commercial cheese making.
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Can a DNA test on cheese tell which cow the cheese comes from?
« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2016, 09:07:20 AM »
only if the cheese was made from the milk of only one cow I would have thought.

Not a practical option in commercial cheese making.

So Moonzero, I'd have to buy a cheese made by an eco minded cheese making one-cow farmer. I haven't seen anything even remotely like that in the cheese aisle at Waitrose let alone at Aldi. I'll just have to look further afield. Next stop Harrod's Food Hall? Thank you again for the tip off Moonzero, I will think of you every time I tuck into a large chunk of dubiously provenanced but delicious multi-cow Stinky Bishop.

"I live in hope"