!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Is it true there is or was a lighthouse in London?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Is it true there is or was a lighthouse in London?
« on: 10 June, 2016, 08:55:57 PM »

My mad journalist friend has really excelled himself this time. Now he swears blind that there is or was a lighthouse smack in the middle of London! He can't remember the name of it but he is dead certain of his facts.

Being a devout Londoner and obsessively interested in London's local history I immediately asked him how come I've  never heard of this phantom lighthouse? He burbled something incomprehensible. My snorts of derision could be heard for miles across the South Downs.

But in a rare sensible moment of reflection I thought I'd better ask you. Is he right? Does he know what he's talking about?

Is/was there a lighthouse smack in the middle of London. What on earth is/was it for?

"I live in hope"

Offline emanon

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
Re: Is it true there is or was a lighthouse in London?
« Reply #1 on: 12 March, 2017, 09:09:28 PM »
Here you go
Trinity Buoy Wharf
bow creek

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Is it true there is or was a lighthouse in London?
« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2017, 06:08:02 PM »
And here's an article about it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/people_and_places/history/newsid_8516000/8516036.stm

Thank you Emanon and thank you Siasl.
So, my mad ex-journo friend was right on the money. This time.

Interesting to see, from your web link Siasl, that it was only used for testing lighthouse technology - and is now home to something r e a l l y unusual.

As the website says "The lamp room of the lighthouse today is home to 'Longplayer' - a one thousand year long musical composition. It began playing at midnight on the 31st of December 1999, and will continue to play without repetition until the last moment of 2999. It was developed by 'The Pogues', Jem Finer".

It is open every Saturday and Sunday. But only in April to September 11am to 5pm and again in October to March from 11 am to 4 pm.

So leg it down there folks and get up into that lighthouse! Especially if you are an avid Poguie or strangely fascinated by "the sounds of Tibetan 'singing bowls' that promise to take you on a atmospheric journey into time and space".

http://www.trinitybuoywharf.com/whats-on/event/longplayer

Or you can stay at home and simply tune into this YouTube clip. Spoiler alert: A Tibetan toe-tapper it is definitely ain't. It livens up though after about three years.

"I live in hope"