!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Does Peru lie on the Equator? Or not?  (Read 1662 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Does Peru lie on the Equator? Or not?
« on: 10 June, 2016, 03:19:35 PM »

I have squinted at loads of maps of South America on the net but they're all pretty indistinct concerning the very tiny northernmost tip of Peru.  Does north Peru manage to clip the Equator or not?

I desperately need to know because one of the fiendish questions in a pub quiz I'm compiling is going to be "How many countries in South America does the Equator run across?"

Obviously the answer to that can either be three* or four if Peru just nudges in. Bottles and glasses will fly and I'll look like a total pinhead if I get the Q & A wrong. Soooo....

Does Peru manage to clip the Equator or does it not? And just out of interest, can you tell me by how much?

* Ecuador, Brazil and Columbia. 
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: Does Peru lie on the Equator? Or not?
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2016, 04:19:39 PM »
No, it does not. It falls about 2 miles short at this point. So you should just have Ecuador, Colombia and Brazil.
« Last Edit: 10 June, 2016, 04:27:11 PM by siasl »

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 10 June, 2016, 09:04:25 PM »
No, it does not. It falls about 2 miles short at this point. So you should just have Ecuador, Colombia and Brazil.

Just two miles short of the Equator! No wonder I couldn't see much on the maps of Peru I googled. I don't know how on earth you found the map in your link but jeez I'm glad you did. You just saved me from a lynching. Thanks again!
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2016, 12:51:50 PM »
The technical term to look for is "extreme points" of a country. You'll find sites with North/South/East/West/highest/lowest point of each country.