!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Look what I just found!  (Read 1339 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Look what I just found!
« on: 08 May, 2016, 09:09:11 PM »
There it was, lurking unloved in the unanswered questions graveyard. A question that is still as fresh and vibrant as the day I first asked it (way back on the inglorious 12th of August, 2015).

We all hear about the exorbitant record-breaking high prices made at auction by works of art all of the time. But I want to know about the opposite. Hence my question...

"Just for a change, what's the cheapest work of art Sotheby's have ever sold?  Or even, what's the lowest knock-down price have Sotheby ever sold a work of art for that later turned out to be worth a fortune?"

Anybody know a possible answer?
« Last Edit: 08 May, 2016, 09:10:56 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Re: Look what I just found!
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2016, 11:53:24 PM »
I'm thinking this is better than no answer but let me know if you think otherwise, P-K.

My attention span is even shorter than usual today but your answer may be amongst these FAQs from Sothebys' ebay site. http://www.pages.ebay.com/live-auctions/sothebys_bidding_guide.html
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Look what I just found!
« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2016, 03:45:24 PM »
I'm thinking this is better than no answer but let me know if you think otherwise, P-K.

My attention span is even shorter than usual today but your answer may be amongst these FAQs from Sothebys' ebay site. http://www.pages.ebay.com/live-auctions/sothebys_bidding_guide.html

Sorry Cosmos, nice try but... I avidly read every line, dot and comma in your link and.... Nope. It's not there.  It good info for wannabe bidders and seller but, for some reason, Sothebys don't publicise there lowest ever sale price.

Nor do they brag about past sales where they sold off valuable masterpieces for the price of a prawn sandwich. Not surprisingly Sotheby prefer to stay schtum on the subject of their gaffes.

There must be some way to find an answer to my question. Can anyone help?
"I live in hope"