!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What's the most popular holiday destination for Brits?  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
What's the most popular holiday destination for Brits?
« on: 30 April, 2016, 04:54:56 AM »
How far are they likely to go?
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: What's the most popular holiday destination for Brits?
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2016, 10:27:46 PM »

Watch out Cosmos! Flocks of Brit tourists are heading your way! Arrivals from the UK on holiday in Oz increased by a massive 12% for the year after having fallen by 20% over the past six years because of the banking crisis.*

But there’s some good news for you too.
Also from the Guardian newspaper, which says that Mallorca is still the big destination but that things are changing. See the full article here...

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/jul/24/which-summer-holiday-destinations-do-brits-search-for-most

* So says the Guardian newspaper in a very scary article at...
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/24/tourists-visiting-australia-rise-by-largest-number-in-almost-a-decade
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
« Reply #2 on: 07 May, 2016, 01:29:32 AM »

Watch out Cosmos! Flocks of Brit tourists are heading your way! Arrivals from the UK on holiday in Oz increased by a massive 12% for the year after having fallen by 20% over the past six years because of the banking crisis.*

But there’s some good news for you too.
Also from the Guardian newspaper, which says that Mallorca is still the big destination but that things are changing. See the full article here...

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2015/jul/24/which-summer-holiday-destinations-do-brits-search-for-most

* So says the Guardian newspaper in a very scary article at...
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/24/tourists-visiting-australia-rise-by-largest-number-in-almost-a-decade

I can't say I'm surprised by the increasing interest in Australia by Brits. After all there's the (nearly) common language and the Aus $ in freefall at the moment would make your £ so much more valuable than in the US for example. If you don't like touristy things then Western Australia (Capital : Perth) would be ideal almost any time of year : be careful of Summer though, it can be very hot.
Another less popular spot is Tasmania. You might want to avoid Winter there though as the wind from the Southern Ocean is even colder than from the Atlantic.
If you're looking for snow, there are (Winter) resorts in Victoria and NSW with facilities as good as anywhere in the world.
If you're worried about your tweens and teens picking up bad habits, Australia's TV has taken a backward step in the last forty years with full frontal nudity being impossible now. Like the rest of the English-speaking world PC has taken over, especially in the cities.
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2016, 06:02:13 PM »

I can't say I'm surprised by the increasing interest in Australia by Brits. After all there's the (nearly) common language and the Aus $ in freefall at the moment would make your £ so much more valuable than in the US for example. If you don't like touristy things then Western Australia (Capital : Perth) would be ideal almost any time of year : be careful of Summer though, it can be very hot.
Another less popular spot is Tasmania. You might want to avoid Winter there though as the wind from the Southern Ocean is even colder than from the Atlantic.
If you're looking for snow, there are (Winter) resorts in Victoria and NSW with facilities as good as anywhere in the world.
If you're worried about your tweens and teens picking up bad habits, Australia's TV has taken a backward step in the last forty years with full frontal nudity being impossible now. Like the rest of the English-speaking world PC has taken over, especially in the cities.

Us Brits have a very long history of taking breaks in Australia - and not always voluntarily. I very nearly moved to Australia with my two little kids in 1983 but my then wife (who is American) was feeling very homesick after five years in Scandinavia and three in Hong Kong so we moved to the States. It's a decision I've always regretted and I must say I really like the way Australians have developed over the last 35 years...seems to me like Australia has all the advantages of America, but without the Americans.
"I live in hope"