!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How does dry shampoo work? What's in it? Is it any good?  (Read 698 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
How does dry shampoo work? What's in it? Is it any good?
« on: 06 April, 2016, 04:42:16 PM »

Mrs P-K has recently been buying dry shampoo and is pressing me to try it. I am resisting.

I have some serious questions about dry shampoo...

Is it a chemical reaction that 'cleans' the hair? What makes it effective?

Is it really effective? How does its 'cleanliness factor' compare to liquid shampoos?

Are there any long-term negative side effects from prolonged usage?

"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: How does dry shampoo work? What's in it? Is it any good?
« Reply #1 on: 29 February, 2020, 03:55:38 PM »
Looks like it is time I answered this myself!  After all, it has been lurking unanswered ever since I posted it in May.  That's not May last year but May the year before that!  (Note to Mods - Is this a new IA record?)

Anyway here goes...

"Dry shampoo works simply: the alcohol or starch in the product soaks up the excess oil and grease in your hair, giving it a cleaner, fresher appearance. Traditionally, shaking corn starch into hair has achieved the same effect, but most current products deliver the drying agents via an aerosol spray.

In addition to supporting the hair-care industry’s push to minimise the use of oil-stripping shampoos, there are some cases where dry shampoo is the preferable option. For example, if you’re travelling and a shower isn’t an option or if you’re hospitalised and unable to bathe, this type of product can help maintain your hair and scalp. But, only for a little while.

“Dry shampooing has its place, but no wet shampooing has no place,” (one expert says). “Your hair and scalp needs to be washed and rinsed intermittently to keep it clean. The scalp collects chemicals and pollutants both from the air and from cosmetic care products, and if you only use a dry shampoo, the cleansing is only minimal but it does freshen the hair by removing oils.”

Source - https://parade.com/710015/clevelandclinic/does-dry-shampoo-actually-clean-your-hair/

This website above, Parade.com, has quite a lot more to say on the subject of dry shampoos if you're interested.

"I live in hope"