!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: On a complete clockwise journey around the M25....  (Read 1190 times)

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
On a complete clockwise journey around the M25....
« on: 23 March, 2016, 05:03:37 PM »
....how many legal exits are available to a driver? [ignore temporary restrictions]
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: On a complete clockwise journey around the M25....
« Reply #1 on: 24 March, 2016, 10:57:27 AM »

What a fascinating question!
According to my often dodgy counting, there are 34 legal exits. Or 35 or 36 if you count the River exit twice...even though the total number of actual major numbered exits (ie those with numbers such as J1, J2 etc) only total 31, grinding to a halt at their highest at J31.

Two extra unnumbered exits are, by my reckoning, those two exits being for the particularly unlovely Purfleet exit and the exit via the A1090 to South Ockendon and Thurrock services .

And the final two extra unnumbered legal exits are both exits to motorway services...at Clacket Lane services' and the exit to Cobham services.

Nestling picturesquely between Junctions 5 and 6 there is the stunning Clacket Lane services where you can exit for a quick pee and a
MacDonald's cup of coffee, often both indistinguishable from each other.

Interestingly (oh yeah?) there seems to be one (or two) other exits (both called River Exit) for the Dartford Crossing (A282) if you want to go over the Queen Elizabeth Bridge...one each for both directions.

You'll be overjoyed to know that I've saved the really exciting bit to last! The 'J' exits between Junctions 15 and the River exits are extra special!

These exits have not one but two names. Not are they Ji5, J16 etc but they are also Euro exits which means they sport fancy 'E' numbers as well, such as E30 and E15.

For more gripping info (such as miles and kilometre measurements and also for the anti-clockwise exit stats, see our good friend Wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M25_motorway#Junctions
« Last Edit: 24 March, 2016, 11:00:49 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"