!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Is Abraham Lincoln really buried in a bomb proof grave? Why?  (Read 562 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

Just been told this astounding late bit of news by my journalist friend (the master of all things trivial, whether true or not).

I am presuming that  this time he might even know what he's talking about. Does he?

Is Abraham Lincoln really buried in a bomb proof grave? Why? Were they scared of souvenir hunters and grave robbers or what?
"I live in hope"

Offline Chip Paint

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
  • Questions? My kingdom for an answer
Re: Is Abraham Lincoln really buried in a bomb proof grave? Why?
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2016, 06:53:02 AM »
The Lincoln burial was not just a one time event.  His first burial  in 1865 was at a temporary site in Illinois; while awaiting construction of a  new tomb. In 1874 the tomb was completed and President Lincoln was buried within.
In 1876 Lincolns body was stolen and then recovered 10 days later. His coffin was then hidden in a secret  location with- in the building, leaving the sarcophagus empty. In 1887 due to needed repairs to the tomb, the coffin was moved to a new brick burial vault near by the tomb building.   In 1900 Lincoln's coffin was moved from the brick vault to an underground vault near the tomb structure. In 1901, after the tomb reconstruction is completed, Lincoln's final burial takes place.  His coffin is secured in a concrete-and-steel reinforced chamber below the floor. (i.e. the "bomb proof" story) not the sarcophagus.

A long winded answer, I know, but the short answer is,  Yes Lincoln is in, what could be mistakenly called, a "bomb proof grave".

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.

Mark Twain