!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Is there a definitive guide to the boundaries of Europe?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Duffield1

• Founder member and wannabe deity.
  • Administrator
  • Maria Montessori
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 61
  • -Receive: 36
  • Helpfulness: 67
  • I ain't nothing but a hound dawg...
Is there a definitive guide to the boundaries of Europe?
« on: 13 March, 2009, 03:16:18 PM »
Take the Eurovision Song Contest, for example.  Now personally, I don't think Israel or Russia are part of what I think of as Europe, and yet, this year, Russia is proclaiming that hosting the contest marks its 'return to Europe'.  Where does Europe end and the Middle East begin?

Offline whatacat

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 2
Re: Is there a definitive guide to the boundaries of Europe?
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2009, 05:05:13 PM »
In school I learned that half of Russia is in Europe, west of the Ural mountains. In the southeast Turkey is the last European country. Howewer, to participate in Eurovision Song Contest you don't have to be a European country, you only have to be a member of the European Broadcasing Union. Wikipedia has a map:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Broadcasting_Union

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Is there a definitive guide to the boundaries of Europe?
« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2009, 05:39:10 PM »
On a lighter note, before the Second World War, the Times ran a now famous article headlined....

"Fog in English Channel. Europe cut off".

To this day I think many people don't think of Britain being part of Europe.

As a kid I always thought that Europe stopped at the Caucassus. That is still the mental image I have of Europe. Beyond that is all 'abroad'.
"I live in hope"