!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Why is a 'shot' of whisky called a 'shot'?  (Read 753 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Why is a 'shot' of whisky called a 'shot'?
« on: 15 February, 2016, 08:17:40 AM »

Anything to do with guns?
"I live in hope"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Why is a 'shot' of whisky called a 'shot'?
« Reply #1 on: 23 November, 2017, 09:58:14 AM »

Anything to do with guns?

I've got some good news for all you shot drinkers and whisky buffs out there. Shots have absolutely nothing to do with bullets. Far from it.

Back in the murk of history, ancient Vikings gave us the word. And by round about the 12th Century their word became our ancient English word 'scéotan' which (after several more centuries of mispronunciation) first became 'scot' and has now become today's word 'shot'.

Like the original Viking word, the old 'shot' word meant to pay or to contribute - as in buying a round of drinks.

(We still use the word 'scot' in its previous meaning but only in the phrase 'scot free' ie making no contribution.)

So, 'shot' has nothing to do with bullets - its more about centuries of good old English drunkards slurring an ex-Viking word for 'to pay' or to 'bung some more money in the drinks kitty, mate'.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-sho3.htm
« Last Edit: 23 November, 2017, 10:01:18 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"