!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: I've heard that feeding radishes on coffee makes them grow better...?  (Read 622 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I just heard this from an old allotmenteer the other day. Admittedly he is rather 'special' at times but old allotmenteers do often possess some surprising knowledge that others simply don't know about.

Even so, I have never heard that coffee helps radishes grow bigger and faster and better than before.

Quite the opposite. I'd expect any plant (radishes included) to immediately keel over if fed on coffee.

So who is right? Me? Or the ancient allotmenteer? Is there any scientific evidence one way or the other?

PS He didn't say whether fresh coffee or Maxwell House or a cup of decaf works best.
« Last Edit: 14 March, 2016, 11:34:26 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline seacommander

• Founder member.
  • Founder
  • Archimedes
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 63
  • Helpfulness: 87
Firstly, I am assuming your allotmenteer buddy is referring to coffee grounds rather than freeze dried coffee granules or powder.

Radishes prefer a slightly acidic soil and coffee grounds are reputedly acidic; so their use might well be beneficial especially if the soil is erring towards the alkaline.
« Last Edit: 06 March, 2016, 07:59:48 PM by seacommander »

Offline Chip Paint

• Contributor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
  • Helpfulness: 0
  • Questions? My kingdom for an answer
Coffee grounds, irrespective of brand, will provide nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus and other minerals that can support plant growth.
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.

Mark Twain

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.

That makes sense...in just the same way that tea bags thrown on compost heaps work well. So long as me radishes don't get a caffeine blast and start getting twitchy on me I'll give it a try.
"I live in hope"