!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Referendum  (Read 1041 times)

imfeduptoo

Referendum
« on: 04 March, 2016, 03:56:57 PM »
We keep being warned about the perils of leaving the EU so why are we being given the chance to vote to come out of it? If it will be that bad surely it should be explained in greater detail just why we shouldn't leave. We vote in our MPs to run the country for us yet our PM is letting us decide on something that he is against! How do we find out exactly what the consequences will be if we leave?

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Re: Referendum
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2016, 09:16:22 PM »
It's a good idea to consult the populace when making such an important decision. From what I've read PM Cameron promised a referendum on EU membership.

There are many different opinions about Brexit. I recommend euobserver.com for reasonably impartial views.

I would normally recommend looking at history but I don't believe there has been an exit of such a large economy from the organisation now named the EU.

Looking at American history I would say that there wasn't as big a disobedience of Federal law among the states as there presently is by EU nations.

The UK, in particular London, is a big magnet for people wanting a better life. Until that attraction is toned down it will be an unsettling influence in the EU. While there is such a large uncontrolled influx of people into the UK it will be a detriment to the local population.
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 05 March, 2016, 08:36:18 AM »
I find it confusing that some politicians, obviously thoughtful and informed politicians, want to stay in the EU while other politicians, obviously thoughtful and informed politicians, want to come out.

They can't both be right...or maybe they can. Nobody knows or can say for sure what will happen because no country has done it before. So everybody is guessing and prejudice and preferences rule over informed thought. Asking the electorate to vote in a referendum will produce the same sort of thinking but on a wider scale and prejudices will most probably rule even more.

I can only think back to when Britain first joined the EU...(there was just as much unsureness about what effects that would or wouldn't have on our Commonwealth trade figures etc) and we little voters weren't consulted or given a choice. The politicians just said 'In' so in we went.

I think a referendum is the democratic way to go about the subject of possibly leaving the EU, I just wish that the debate were based on facts rather than spin, particularly where immigration is concerned.

I should add that I am predominantly for staying in but there is a fair amount of indecision in my mind. I do not consider myself to be someone whose individual opinion is weighty enough to sway the course of a nation's progress.

Multiply that by the population of the UK and you have a pretty worthless referendum. We might as well just toss a coin. It'd be far cheaper and just as likely to produce a correct decision.

PS I find it hard to accept Cosmos's thinking that "The UK, in particular London, is a big magnet for people wanting a better life. Until that attraction is toned down it will be an unsettling influence in the EU. While there is such a large uncontrolled influx of people into the UK it will be a detriment to the local population."

Isn't that like saying the world should stop selling umbrellas because they only attract rain and cause problems?

« Last Edit: 05 March, 2016, 08:43:44 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #3 on: 05 March, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
It keeps us quiet as we think we've had a say.
As Emma Goldman said and is oft quoted "If voting changed anything they'd make it illegal".

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2016, 11:12:07 AM »
It keeps us quiet as we think we've had a say.
As Emma Goldman said and is oft quoted "If voting changed anything they'd make it illegal".

And I always thought that was Ken Livingstone! But he pinched it from Emma Goldman? Without giving her a credit? What a cad! What a bounder!
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2016, 11:57:29 AM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of airbrushing women out of history  :D