!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Which is the smallest city in Englan?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Which is the smallest city in Englan?
« on: 19 January, 2016, 10:58:17 PM »
We were arguing about this earlier this evening and the best we could come up with was Ely or Ripon which we reckon are about the same size with roughly 15,000 Elyans or Riponians.

Are we right? What is the smallest city in England?

Someone suggested that there is an even smaller city in Wales but couldn't remember its name.
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: Which is the smallest city in Englan?
« Reply #1 on: 20 January, 2016, 07:48:07 AM »
The Welsh one is St Davids - nice place nestled in a little valley near the south west corner. Population <2000 I believe, but with the requisite cathedral to render it city-like. Cracking pub, too (or it was 10+ years ago).

No idea about England

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Which is the smallest city in England?
« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2016, 03:21:32 PM »
That'll be Wells
http://www.wellssomerset.com/about_wells.php?sid=ed65d48b2cbe469de15358a7b363c165

Thanks for the answers and I must say I am surprised. I mean, Wells has a population, if you can call it that, of just over 11,000 and it's a city.

Where I live in Lewes is over half as big again with a population of 16,000 odd souls (some of them decidedly and definitely very odd souls) and yet we are just a bliddy market town. There ain't no sense or justice in it just because some medieval oik forgot to build a cathedral here.

Who invented this law that to be called a 'city' you had to have a cathedral?
« Last Edit: 30 January, 2016, 12:25:41 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

dr david

Re: Which is the smallest city in Englan?
« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2017, 01:51:29 PM »
there is no rule that you have to have a cathedral or indeed a university to become a city. it is usually up to the queen to grant city status regardless of population, cathedral, university or owt. a common myth........