!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Why do we think of red as the hottest colour when the hottest part of a flame is  (Read 1451 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
...actually dark blue?

At least, that's what I learned from my physics master over a Bunsen burner flame half a century ago.

The hottest part of the flame is the tip of the inner dark blue bit of the flame, innit? Not the upper point of the flame itself. And even that is a light blue flame...not red.

On top of that, the hottest stars are blue.

So why do we regard red as the hottest colour when it clearly ain't?
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
I suspect that the expression red-hot has something to do with watching a blacksmith fashioning iron. The best temperature for that (fashioning) is when the metal is red. Although iron is still workable at yellow-hot it is more likely to set badly. I would point out that white-hot is another expression which I believe is hotter than red-hot. This too is derived from metal-working for when iron reaches the white-hot stage it is close to melting.
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
I suspect that the expression red-hot has something to do with watching a blacksmith fashioning iron. The best temperature for that (fashioning) is when the metal is red. Although iron is still workable at yellow-hot it is more likely to set badly. I would point out that white-hot is another expression which I believe is hotter than red-hot. This too is derived from metal-working for when iron reaches the white-hot stage it is close to melting.

Can't argue with that, Cosmos. Blue I always associate with cold (blue lips etc). But I hadn't made  the 'red hot metal' connexion and think you are dead right.
"I live in hope"