!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Where is the lowest sea temperature to be found?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Where is the lowest sea temperature to be found?
« on: 03 January, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »
Last night, over the cheese, a friend said that sea water freezes below zero...at something like minus 2 or minus 4 C depending on its saltiness. I'd heard that before when I lived in Norway so I didn't argue.

But his words sparked this question...Is the sea temperature colder in the Arctic or at the bottom of Mariana Trench for example?

Where is the coldest sea water found? And what temperature is it?
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
Re: Where is the lowest sea temperature to be found?
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2016, 05:03:03 PM »
"The coldest seawater ever recorded (in a liquid state) was in 2010, in a stream under an Antarctic glacier, and measured −2.6 C (27.3 F)"  wiki.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Where is the lowest sea temperature to be found?
« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2016, 07:39:22 PM »
Thanks Ant. I was surprised though that it was only −2.6 C and not the even colder −3 or −4C that the fun-loving Norskies had led me to believe.

And I was surprised again that it was under the Antarctic which, for some reason, I never think of as being as cold as the North Pole. Maybe it's because I've never been in the Antarctic polar circle (Does it even have one?) but I do know how bliddy cold it can get in the Arctic.

−49 C was my personal best in the late 70s and oh how I wished back then it'd drop that extra degree so I could have notched up a nice round −50C to go with the +50C (122F) I clocked in Central India the previous year.

"50 below to 50 above" would have been a pretty neat personal record to claim although they were both really insufferable.

The Arctic Circle wins though because life at −49 C was really painful especially when someone cracked a joke and I laughed and suddenly realised that my beard was a solid frozen block of ice. Believe me, a couple of hundred beard-hairs all being pulled simultaneously hurts like b*gg*ry!
« Last Edit: 26 February, 2016, 10:31:45 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"