!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Why are some plants spicy?  (Read 868 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Why are some plants spicy?
« on: 03 January, 2016, 09:58:55 AM »
We get the vast majority of our spices from the roots, leaves or distillations or oils from plants and very tasty they are too.

But my question comes from wondering why some plants are so spicy when so many others aren't.

Is there any benefit to the plant in being spicy or hot?

I mean, everything from spuds and rice to cabbages and quinces aren't spicy but they grow perfectly well without it.

So, I imagine there is some very good evolutionary advantage that being spicy brings to some plants.

If so, what is that evolutionary advantage?

And, as a related question, is there any reason why so many spices come from plants that grow wild mainly in the Far East and Eastern Europe and in basically very hot rather than very mild or cold countries?
« Last Edit: 03 January, 2016, 11:10:07 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: Why are some plants spicy?
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
It's probably to do with attracting the best creature for germinating seeds. I'm told that the chilli is spicy to deter creatures that chew the seeds so that they remain intact as they transit the digestive tract - whether that's true or not I'm not sure though!