Intelligent Answers > The Debating Lounge and Speakers' Corner

Syrian refugees.

(1/3) > >>

seacommander:
In view of the revelation that a number of the perpertrators of the recent atrocities in Paris were committed by persons masquerading as Syrian refugees is it justified that our government proceeds with its policy to allow 20,000 refugees into the UK?

siasl:
Personally, I don't think we're taking enough of them, or offering them enough support when they are here, yet the government is cutting spending all over the place, which is harming the efforts to help these people.

Courtesy of GWB and Tony, we have helped to create the monster that is ISIS/IS/ISIL by destabilising and toppling nations. We should clear up after our messes.

For the 20K we are taking, I fear they will be ill-served by this country. They are said to be among the most vulnerable of the refugees in the Syrian camps, which means we are taking in abused women and children, for the most part. This is all very laudable in intention, however I am told by senior folks within the charity sector that all these refugees will only be offered a single years support. This support is to give them language skills, counselling and "on-boarding" into the British culture. I suspect the refugees we do take will require much more assistance than we are promising to repair the damage done to their minds, bodies and souls.

Perhaps you think a year is enough to be able to learn enough to get around in a strange, foreign place. But think how hard it would be if, before you went, your homes were destroyed, your friends and family killed, and on your journey you were repeatedly raped and/or beaten by those promising you aid, yet taking more of your belongings and dignity. These are the people we are taking.

For those that are not taken in by another nation, they are left suffering brutal lives, frequently shortened, in appalling conditions in the camps.

The Washington Post published an interesting article on a similar question last week.

Sorry if this comes across a bit ranty :)

seacommander:
I am just posing the question siasl and seeking opinion. I am all for helping where the help is genuinely needed but am, I think like many others I have spoken to, merely expressing some justifiable concern.

P-Kasso2:
I think it is totally wrong (but very understandable) to want to ask if we shouldn't cut down immigration figures because a few terrorists are sneaking in under the cover of a tidal wave of thousands and thousands of immigrants.

OK, those few terrorists are highly dangerous and know no limit to their violence but they are still just a few among hundreds of thousands of genuine, desperate refugees and immigrants.

What are the odds? One terrorist worming their way in per ten thousand genuine immigrants?

With those odds I think we still have to try to accept that the good of the many far outweighs the threat of a handful terrorists coming in, no matter how dangerous those terrorists are.

To 'blanket-ban' all immigrants would be another (typical) knee-jerk reaction from a government that has so far shown an amazingly callous and heartless approach to all down-trodden and needy people whether they're home-grown British families or displaced foreigners.

Mercy and compassion should be the guide rather than fear (even though that fear is sadly very well based).

Compassion is a vital part of what Democracy is all about...but I can all too easily see that recent events are beginning to threaten the whole viability of taking a caring, civilised approach. The end of Democracy is nigh?

I don't at all like the idea of stricter border checks and more draconian vetting of individual would-be immigrants...but desperate times do give rise to desperate measures.

On balance, put me down as reluctantly but extremely split on this question.

seacommander:

--- Quote from: P-Kasso2 on 24 November, 2015, 11:44:04 AM ---I think it is totally wrong (but very understandable) to want to ask if we shouldn't cut down immigration figures because a few terrorists are sneaking in under the cover of a tidal wave of thousands and thousands of immigrants.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your views P-K, however, I do disagree that it is wrong to ask the question. Debate is engendered by an initial question. The question I posed is being asked, even though not always spoken, by many people. We must not be afraid to ask these questions and debate the issues.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version