!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Which is better, jelly or jam?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
Which is better, jelly or jam?
« on: 14 November, 2016, 08:52:26 PM »
I know jelly is much easier to make, all you need is gelatine, hot water, a blender and whatever fruit or vegetable you want to flavour it with.

Jam is much more time consuming and expensive to make.
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline Hiheels

• Founder member, in the naughty corner for smoking in the café.
  • Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 123
  • -Receive: 82
  • Helpfulness: 677
  • Yes, yes, very nice. Now put it away.
Re: Which is better, jelly or jam?
« Reply #1 on: 14 November, 2016, 09:28:23 PM »
Better for what purpose?

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 15 November, 2016, 10:14:14 AM »
I am horrified that you could even ask such a question Cosmos. Like all right-minded IA'ers I don't like jelly. Not in any shape or form. Not even in trifles. And nobody goes more gaga over trifles than me. Jelly ruins a good trifle1

If this question was about which is better, trifles or jam - I'd jump straight into the trifle...so long as it as jelly-less.

In short. I can see no possible reason for jelly's existence. If I woke up tomorrow and had suddenly turned into Fuhrer Trump overnight I'd order all jellies to be lobbed over the wall at the hapless Mexicans. See if they'd like that!

But jam? Jam is in a totally different league altogether compared to a lily-livered shivering quivering blob of low-born jelly. Ah what empires and vast colonies beginning with A and ending with A have been won on the back of noble jars of plum jam, strawberry jam, blackberry jam, quince jam, apple jam, apricot jam and gooseberry jam.

To conclude Cosmos, I raise you a jar of delicious chunky orange marmalade!  Try putting that in the ring with a jelly! No contest.

« Last Edit: 15 November, 2016, 10:16:09 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #3 on: 15 November, 2016, 10:43:15 AM »
I am horrified that you could even ask such a question Cosmos. Like all right-minded IA'ers I don't like jelly. Not in any shape or form. Not even in trifles. And nobody goes more gaga over trifles than me. Jelly ruins a good trifle

Hmm - sorry, but I'm not a jam-fan, but do like a good bowl of jelly & ice-cream (if feeling decadent, add sprinkles and perhaps some golden syrup). Dr Oetker's Waldmeister jelly is tip-top, imho - but difficult to get hold of in the UK. Occasionally some Germans bring me some, but then I end up with a cupboard full of expired packets, usually, as I can't eat huge quantities of it  :P

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: 15 November, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »
I am horrified that you could even ask such a question Cosmos. Like all right-minded IA'ers I don't like jelly. Not in any shape or form. Not even in trifles. And nobody goes more gaga over trifles than me. Jelly ruins a good trifle

Hmm - sorry, but I'm not a jam-fan, but do like a good bowl of jelly & ice-cream (if feeling decadent, add sprinkles and perhaps some golden syrup). Dr Oetker's Waldmeister jelly is tip-top, imho - but difficult to get hold of in the UK. Occasionally some Germans bring me some, but then I end up with a cupboard full of expired packets, usually, as I can't eat huge quantities of it  :P

Oh, Siasl. How could you! And you even gobble down foreign jellies! Have you no shame? What about our hordes of stout Englishmen toiling away in Britain's ancient jelly mines? Do you care not one whit about their families or their bread-winners' job security?

Eating jelly does this to people! It eats away at their sense of nationhood. It crumbles their social views and turns them into jelly traitors.

What you need my man is a stiff dose of Oxford Marmalade. That'll soon put you right.
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #5 on: 15 November, 2016, 11:40:39 AM »
Oh, Siasl. How could you! And you even gobble down foreign jellies! Have you no shame? What about our hordes of stout Englishmen toiling away in Britain's ancient jelly mines? Do you care not one whit about their families or their bread-winners' job security?

Eating jelly does this to people! It eats away at their sense of nationhood. It crumbles their social views and turns them into jelly traitors.

What you need my man is a stiff dose of Oxford Marmalade. That'll soon put you right.
Oh dear. My sense of nationhood is broader than the UK's borders and includes Germany and Norway due to parentage :P

Perhaps I should take your Freia choccy, Aquavit and other such Norsky delights away from you so you can enjoy the "British" equivalents instead... I might let you keep all rakefisk & lutefisk I find in your posession, though, and even force some on you if I don't find any... as punishment

Offline Hiheels

• Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 15 November, 2016, 12:14:32 PM »
I'm on the side of liking a good jelly too, I have to introduce you to the gloriously named Bompas & Parr, who are, even more gloriously, jellymongers (amongst other things) http://bompasandparr.com/projects/filter/category/jelly

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 15 November, 2016, 01:11:39 PM »

Oh dear. My sense of nationhood is broader than the UK's borders and includes Germany and Norway due to parentage :P

Perhaps I should take your Freia choccy, Aquavit and other such Norsky delights away from you so you can enjoy the "British" equivalents instead... I might let you keep all rakefisk & lutefisk I find in your possession, though, and even force some on you if I don't find any... as punishment

No no no no no! Not take away my lutefisk! Not my Freia Selskaps Shokolade chocky bars! OK, I surrender. Jelly is OK in the right hands. Maybe. Just not in mine.

You remind me of my mother, Siasl...every time I was back in England I used to visit her and she used to feed me jelly. Every time! I said "Mum, I don't like jelly". She said "You always liked jelly". I said "Yes mother but that was when I was seven. I'm 44 now!"

Jelly is not for real men. Vive le confiture!
"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • Sydney, NSW.
« Reply #8 on: 15 November, 2016, 09:03:51 PM »
I am horrified that you could even ask such a question Cosmos. Like all right-minded IA'ers I don't like jelly. Not in any shape or form. Not even in trifles. And nobody goes more gaga over trifles than me. Jelly ruins a good trifle1

If this question was about which is better, trifles or jam - I'd jump straight into the trifle...so long as it as jelly-less.

In short. I can see no possible reason for jelly's existence. If I woke up tomorrow and had suddenly turned into Fuhrer Trump overnight I'd order all jellies to be lobbed over the wall at the hapless Mexicans. See if they'd like that!

But jam? Jam is in a totally different league altogether compared to a lily-livered shivering quivering blob of low-born jelly. Ah what empires and vast colonies beginning with A and ending with A have been won on the back of noble jars of plum jam, strawberry jam, blackberry jam, quince jam, apple jam, apricot jam and gooseberry jam.

To conclude Cosmos, I raise you a jar of delicious chunky orange marmalade!  Try putting that in the ring with a jelly! No contest.

How odd of you to say so, P-K. I recollect your mentioning some jealousy about Australia's Aeroplane jelly because of the different flavours (including Portwine  beering ) available in a question I answered some years ago. You even suggested (I presume jokingly) that it might be a reason for emigrating.

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: 17 November, 2016, 12:44:01 AM »
How odd of you to say so, P-K. I recollect your mentioning some jealousy about Australia's Aeroplane jelly because of the different flavours (including Portwine  beering ) available in a question I answered some years ago. You even suggested (I presume jokingly) that it might be a reason for emigrating.

OK, fair cop Cosmos. But, in my feeble defence, can I plead that wobbly British jelly makers can't even halfway compete with the creativity of Aussie jelly makers.

Take for example Port Wine Jelly...who wouldn't love it? Who wouldn't scoff that rather than the chemical phoney fruit flavours the British jelly industry dumps on us?

I hereby challenge all IA'ers to have a look at Aeroplane Jelly's website and weep. Click here...

http://www.aeroplanejelly.com.au/our-products/original-jelly/original-berry-blue...

and you will find, not just Port Wine jellies, but pages of really ground-breaking jellies that we poor deprived Brits are being starved of.

Below is a quick random excerpt I made from from Aeroplane Jelly's website of jelly wonders. If you can honestly say that the chemical junk parody of  feeble phoney fruit flavours of jelly fobbed off on Britons is even half as creative as these Aussie wonders then I promise I will climb back into my jam pot and forever close the lid. Here's that foretaste of what jelly could be...

Ghost Teeth Jellies (Kids will scream for this)

Fruit Cake Trifle (A great alternative to Christmas pudding)

Dirt Pond (Filled with Create a Jelly that’s been muddied with Gooey Chocolate Topping

Animal Jelly Cake (Topped with your favourite lollies)

Choc Banana Jelly (Rich, thick chocolate sauce)

Marmalade Jelly (Say no more)

Orange and Mango Jelly

Red Jelly Coffin (Spooky delicious combination of chocolate and Original Strawberry Jelly)

Affogato Jelly (An exotic Italian classic that literally translates to 'drowned in coffee')

Mud Jelly Spider Cupcakes

Jelly Creatures

Very Berry Trifle, Black Forest Trifle,

Spooky Eye Ball Jelly (Spooky floating lychee and Jaffa eyes)

Licoricely Wicked Jelly (A treat for licorice lovers!)

And so the list goes on. Amen.
"I live in hope"

Offline Hiheels

• Founder
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2016, 07:11:28 AM »
Tacos & Tequila
coriander-infused Don Julio Silver, smoked pineapple, lime and salt

Cherry Blossom
Rare Tea Company Silver Tip Jasmine, cherry, sake and Luxardo maraschino

[oops!] Lime Wine
Mosel Riesling, bramley apple juice, [oops!] leaves

Coral Cabana
raspberry jelly marbled into a Johnnie Walker Gold Label whisky sour

NON ALCOHOLIC OPTIONS
Watermelon
coconut mint layer below a bright watermelon layer
marbled with liquorice “seeds”

Bergamot and Basil
citrus jelly with gold top served with house basil-infused oil

Lime and Guava
matrix of fruit jellies set within a cream soda and ginger jelly

Violet Elderflower
set with fresh raspberries or blackberries

All as per link I gave earlier

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: 18 November, 2016, 04:34:18 PM »
All as per link I gave earlier

My deepest apologies Heels. I didn't see your post earlier. Don't ask me how that happened...but I am chuffed to say that your Bompas & Parr jellymongers seem to be exactly what I've been missing all my life!

I hereby now say without hesitation or quibbling that some jellies are indeed right up there with some jams. I think had better go now and collect my hair shirt from the dry cleaners.

"I live in hope"

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • Sydney, NSW.
« Reply #12 on: 18 November, 2016, 08:38:18 PM »
Thank you Heels and P-K for your contributions to this question. :)