!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How many miles of Roman roads were built?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
How many miles of Roman roads were built?
« on: 18 November, 2015, 04:43:03 PM »
In the UK, or globally. And how many are in use today (probably with tarmac on top!)?

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: How many miles of Roman roads were built?
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2015, 08:19:45 AM »
I am in my "Let's avoid just using Wiki" mode again at the moment which is fun because it throws me into many other much more varied sites...better typography too and more colour and more pics. So it is a 'win, win' situation when looking up things like Roman roads.

There were apparently between 8000 and 10,000 miles of roads constructed just during the first hundred years of Roman occupation.

The following website (http://www.britainexpress.com/History/Roman_Roads.htm) says there were two types of Roman roads, not all of them military and not all of the dead straight.

Apparently no village or farm was more than 7 miles from a purpose-built road, which is pretty astounding. The website says...

"The most vital priority was the movement of troops and supplies from the channel ports of Richborough, Dover, and Lympne to the military centres at London, Colchester, and the front-line legionary forts. The first frontier was set up along a road extending from Exeter to Lincoln, running through Bath, Gloucester, and Leicester. This was known as the Fosse Way, the first great Roman road in Britain. The Fosse Way has been largely adapted by modern highways.

The next military push established a new frontier between Lincoln and York, Wroxeter and Chester, and Gloucester and Caerleon.

After these "front-line" roads had been established. The Romans turned their attention to expanding the network of minor roads within their new possessions, to better aid the flow of trade.

By 82AD the Romans had pushed north as far as a line between the Clyde and the Firth of Forth. During this campaign alone the army built over 60 forts and over 1200 miles of roads. The imperial posting service, used by Roman officials, maintained inns and relays of horses at intervals of 30 to 50 kilometres along the roads.

The minor roads (sometimes called "economic roads") were also built by the Roman army to link economic centres, such as the Mendip lead mines and the Nene potteries, with administrative capitals like Silchester, and the coastal ports.

At a best guess there were between 8000-10,000 miles of roads constructed during the first hundred years of Roman occupation.

There was a third level of roads at the local level, connecting villas, temples, farms, and villages to larger roads and market towns.

The full extent of this road building is apparent when you consider that according estimates by historians, no village or farm was more than 7 miles from a purpose-built road!"
« Last Edit: 19 November, 2015, 08:22:12 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"