!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: What have we here?  (Read 2506 times)

Offline antonymous

• Perpendicular Galileo Galilei
  • Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 133
  • Helpfulness: 168
  • "We're all bankers now!"
    • Antonymous2011 Flickr Page
What have we here?
« on: 10 August, 2015, 11:23:54 PM »
see attachment;
« Last Edit: 11 August, 2015, 04:52:49 PM by antonymous »
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
Re: What have we here?
« Reply #1 on: 11 August, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »
CLUE;
They are not hieroglyphics.
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Sometimes it'svice versa"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #2 on: 11 August, 2015, 09:34:14 AM »
I'd hazard a guess at early arabic writing, but it appears to be going in the wrong direction.

Either that or a carrot, a worm and a slug...

Offline tecspec

• Founder
  • Bachelor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 47
  • -Receive: 26
  • Helpfulness: 39
  • I'm Welsh and proud of it.
    • Soosie Wales
« Reply #3 on: 11 August, 2015, 12:01:56 PM »
I remember seeing these 'symbols' years ago when I took a speedwriting (alternative to shorthand) course. The teacher used Hoyt script to illustrate how letters can be flattened and still be understood. That was part of what speedwriting was about, it wasn't symbols like Pitman Shorthand. You left out most vowels, used . for 'the' etc.

I admit I did have to look up the image to confirm the name of the script. I found more about it here:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/03/weird-and-wonderful-yet-still-illegible/

;-)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #4 on: 11 August, 2015, 12:50:06 PM »
Just opened your link, Tec and you are spot on. But what the link doesn't say is what letters Ant's 'hieroglyphs' represent. They look all Greek to me. Can you enlighten us, Ant?
« Last Edit: 11 August, 2015, 12:52:05 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: 11 August, 2015, 04:53:23 PM »
The answer is on the page tecspec linked.  see att.

Stub pens, mentioned above - "in the 19th century, before the perfection of a new gadget called the typewriter (1873) people experimented with different nibs, including one called the stub-pen, whose effect was as blunt as it sounds. Simultaneously, a major change was underway in the production of typefaces. Having learned how to grow matrices from a cast character or piece of type (to pirate typefaces), the ingenious Americans soon discovered that instead of cutting steel punches, they could simply carve a character out of a piece of soft type-metal." http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012/03/weird-and-wonderful-yet-still-illegible/
« Last Edit: 11 August, 2015, 04:55:35 PM by antonymous »

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: 11 August, 2015, 06:22:40 PM »
I must clean my glasses more often! You are dead right, Ant...it was right there in Tec's answer but it was typeset in a point size commonly known as in mouse print.  And a very small mouse at that. Not surprisingly, I didn't even see it, let alone manage to read it.

Even up large your Hoyt characters are tough enough for me to 'read' what the characters represent even when it' s explained to me!

I have in my font collection a typeface called Hoyt Script
and as you'll see at the link below, it only has a passing stylistic similarity to your Hoyt 'hieroglyphs'.

Have you a whole page sample of your Hoyt characters en masse? As an typographer I'd be delighted to see it.

Here's what I know as Hoyt Script....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51266334@N08/sets/72157638659292343/

What happened to Hoyt characters? Were they killed off by Pitman's shorthand?
"I live in hope"

Offline antonymous

• Founder
  • Marie Curie
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: 11 August, 2015, 08:01:41 PM »
I must clean my glasses more often! You are dead right, Ant...it was right there in Tec's answer but it was typeset in a point size commonly known as in mouse print.  And a very small mouse at that. Not surprisingly, I didn't even see it, let alone manage to read it.

Even up large your Hoyt characters are tough enough for me to 'read' what the characters represent even when it' s explained to me!

I have in my font collection a typeface called Hoyt Script
and as you'll see at the link below, it only has a passing stylistic similarity to your Hoyt 'hieroglyphs'.

Have you a whole page sample of your Hoyt characters en masse? As an typographer I'd be delighted to see it.

Here's what I know as Hoyt Script....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51266334@N08/sets/72157638659292343/

What happened to Hoyt characters? Were they killed off by Pitman's shorthand?

They are one and the same scripts - the three characters e, n,  and r  [lower case] in your flickr picture are the same as those in my post. There is also a  copy of the document I posted  present. Marvellous site Flickr , havent seen any of your pics posted yet Facepalm

attached is a flickr image from the same area you linked .
« Last Edit: 11 August, 2015, 08:25:07 PM by antonymous »

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: 11 August, 2015, 10:21:19 PM »

They are one and the same scripts - the three characters e, n,  and r  [lower case] in your flickr picture are the same as those in my post. There is also a  copy of the document I posted  present. Marvellous site Flickr , havent seen any of your pics posted yet Facepalm

attached is a flickr image from the same area you linked .

Just as I expected...Hoyt, particularly when typeset in volume, is a painful mess to read. It is, to my mind, among the very worst kinds of ham-fisted post-Art Nouveau / transitional Arts and Crafts mish mashes. Worse than ugly, it is virtually unreadable.

For reading, I far prefer Bembo...for its sheer ease, for its comfort of reading, for its stylistic beauty and for its classic timelessness.

And Bembo was designed 500 years ago. And there are good reasons why it has survived so long and is in daily use worldwide while Hoyt has bitten the dust.

Bembo sets half a millennium years of standards that Hoyt seems to have wilfully ignored. Namely, that type is not just meant to embellish, it exists to be read and to make reading the content a pleasure, not an endurance test,

Try reading a whole novel typeset in Hoyt and you'll soon see how far short Hoyt falls. You won't get past page two before chronic eye fatigue sets in with a vengeance. I cannot understand why anyone ever bothered to design such a criminally dad font.

Compare it Bembo....

"I live in hope"