!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Questions about the healthiness of butter and olive oil.  (Read 892 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
There are many case studies that indicate that olive oil is good for health.

Is hydrogenated olive oil healthier than pure butter?

How healthy does adding palm oil (as a softener) make butter?
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: Questions about the healthiness of butter and olive oil.
« Reply #1 on: 10 June, 2015, 02:47:32 PM »
Is hydrogenated olive oil healthier than pure butter? The question of good fats, bad fats and somewhere-in-between fats is complicated and wrapped up in myths, bad research, subjective feelings and uncertainty.

I think that actually cooking with any oil and overheating it renders it unhealthier than cold, natural uncooked oil.

The reason for this statement is that re-heating and especially overheating, turns cooking oils into dangerous trans fats which are not-quite-fully saturated fats but well on the way and are in much of our processed food. (So be doubly wary of your local chip shop where the deep fat fryers are heated and reheated umpteen times a week!)

So any oil (even olive oil, which can be said to lower cholesterol) will end up turning into trans fats which are regarded as even worse than saturated animal fats (such as those found in butter and lard) because they bump up your levels of bad cholesterol, and that way lies clogged arteries and heart disease.

Anyway back to ordinary, unheated but hydrogenated olive oil.

Why do food manufacturers seem so keen on adding hydrogenated oil to processed food products? Because oil is too liquid and no good for making the end products lighter, less dense and far fluffier or flakier.

But in all the articles I have ever read, and in all the lists ranking good, bad and indifferent oils I have ever seen, butter is always on the bad team along with animal fats, milk and cream closely followed by cheese, palm oil and coconut oil and, the big villain, lard.

On the good teams, olive oil comes out near the top in a crowd that includes healthy oils (ie less un-healthy oils) such as soybean oil, rapeseed oil, sunflower oil etc.

Obviously these oils (including olive oil) are all available un-hydrogenated for home cooking and that is the type to buy if you are at all concerned with your arteries getting so clogged that they become unable to carry the volume of blood and oxygen round your body that your muscles need if you want to walk without excruciating cramps and dying an awful death.

I'd say that all fat (including olive oil which is admittedly far less saturated than the solid and semi-solid fats used in food processing) build up in the body over time and cling to arterial walls etc to form a very real health hazard.

So, say no to hydrogenated! Say no to butter! Say a definite no to lard!

It seems that all foods come in and go out of favour as potential risky substances. Maybe tomorrow new research will vilify olive oil just as butter has disappeared as something that is good for you.

The only healthy way to eat seems to be to starve to death.

Hyd
« Last Edit: 10 June, 2015, 02:54:39 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"