!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: How many volcanoes are there in Antarctica?  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Cosmos

• Masters
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 8
  • Helpfulness: 8
  • Sydney, NSW.
How many volcanoes are there in Antarctica?
« on: 03 June, 2015, 01:18:26 AM »
And what are their names?
Bare barbarer barberer rabarbera bra .

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 55
  • -Receive: 164
  • Helpfulness: 214
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Re: How many volcanoes are there in Antarctica?
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2015, 03:12:03 PM »
There are far more volcanoes in Antarctica that you or I would think. Here is the list of 35 volcanoes...but only three of them are reported to be active, Mt Erebus being the most famous and most active.

Mount Andrus    Mount Berlin    Mount Bird    Bridgeman Island    Brown Peak (Sturge Island)

Coulman Island    Deception Island    Mount Discovery     Mount Erebus

Mount Frakes    Gaussberg     Mount Hampton    Mount Harcourt    Hudson Mountains

Mount Melbourne    Mount Morning    Mount Moulton    Mount Murphy    Mount Overlord

Paulet Island    Penguin Island    Lars Christensen Peak     The Pleiades    Royal Society Range

Seal Nunataks    Mount Sidley    Mount Siple     Mount Steere   Mount Takahe    Mount Terra Nova   

Toney Mountain    Mount Dimitra     Mount Brown    Mount Christos   and    Mount Waesche

I am not much of a seismologist so I slobbishly took the easy way out and just googled Wiki which you too can do for much more info on the status of these volcanoes at...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_volcanoes_in_Antarctica

NEWSFLASH! There was a new volcano discovered under the ice in the Marie Byrd Land region of West Antarctica just two years ago in 2013 which you can read all about in the Daily Mail for that year in the following link...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2509225/Active-volcano-Antarctica-speed-melting.html

So that might make it 36?
« Last Edit: 03 June, 2015, 03:18:14 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"