!!

Guests can now post!

Welcome to Intelligent Answers.  As a guest, you are now able to post a question, subject to getting through our spam-bot filters.  However, if you want to answer any questions, you will need to register.  Thanks for visting!  (BTW - guests cannot post links, and if you post spam, we will block your IP and report you to every spam protection site we can find - we work hard to keep this site spam free for the benefit and enjoyment of our members!)

Author Topic: Has the NHS ever employed faith healers?  (Read 1864 times)

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
Has the NHS ever employed faith healers?
« on: 25 May, 2015, 08:06:38 AM »
Interesting chat last night with friends about whether faith healing was bogus or real.

And none of us could ever recall seeing a faith healer in a hospital.

Which prompted the question...

Has the NHS ever employed faith healers?
« Last Edit: 08 March, 2018, 07:47:10 PM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
Re: Has the NHS ever employed faith healers?
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2015, 09:33:33 PM »
I thought you could get a chiropractor on the NHS? Near enough a faith healer until they get properly regulated and discover evidence based results of efficacy :)

The Daily Mail did a report a while back, too:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2020593/National-Lottery-gives-200k-spiritual-healers-NHS-patients.html

Offline P-Kasso2

• Awaiting inspiration.
  • PK unique
  • University Councillor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 163
  • Helpfulness: 213
  • January 2011 prize-quiz winner.
« Reply #2 on: 26 May, 2015, 06:30:00 AM »
I thought you could get a chiropractor on the NHS? Near enough a faith healer until they get properly regulated and discover evidence based results of efficacy :)

The Daily Mail did a report a while back, too:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2020593/National-Lottery-gives-200k-spiritual-healers-NHS-patients.html

Interesting article, Siasl...Two things struck me.

The first being that the Daily Mail article isn't all that recent but dates from mid-2011 so I can't help wondering if anything positive has happened in the last four years.

Such as what results came from the experiment? Did it spur the NHS to pursue (or abandon) the use of faith healing?

The second, broader point is this...Other 'alternative' medicines do seem to have gained a foothold and increased credence within Society and within the NHS (most noticeably Acupuncture which until relatively recently was still regarded as being on a par with quacks and shamans sticking pins in voodoo dolls).

I'll take a quick look around the Net for any follow-ups on the Mail's 'Voodoo' hospital' story, and whether the £205,000 Lottery grant to the Good Hope Hospital in Sutton Coldfield has led to any developments.

Watch this space!

Five minutes later...Not much to report! About all I could find is that the Good Hope Hospital in Sutton Coldfield has been slated for lack of quality in its care services 12 months ago. This is the intro to one site I found...

"A DAMNING report by an independent watchdog has criticised a number of services at a Sutton Coldfield hospital and deemed several areas as ‘unsafe’.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) – the health and social care regulator in England – found issues with Good Hope Hospital’s accident and emergency, its acute medical ward, maternity, children’s care and more generally with its treatment of dementia patients following an announced visit November 11 to 15 last year. Its report was made public on Tuesday (January 14).

In particular the hospital’s A&E department and newly opened acute medical unit (Ward 20) were found to be unsafe, with patients in the former not being seen quick enough, risking their health and in the latter a series of breaches of safety regulations were putting patients in danger."

The article (at http://www.suttoncoldfieldobserver.co.uk/Health-watchdog-slams-services-Good-Hope-Hospital/story-20445147-detail/story.html) goes on at far greater length but there's not a single peep about faith healing or lottery money.

At least, I didn't find anything maybe others on IA might have more luck?
« Last Edit: 26 May, 2015, 06:45:18 AM by P-Kasso2 »
"I live in hope"

Sandy Edwards

« Reply #3 on: 08 March, 2018, 06:25:43 PM »
NB: No faith is needed for spiritual healing to be effective, so it isn't 'faith healing'. However, here's the news on the research programme:

Controversially, a medical trial of spiritual healing was funded by the National Lottery to the tune of £205,000
With 200 NHS patients involved, each receiving five healing sessions, this is probably the largest healing trial in the world
The research trial was led by the University of Birmingham and conducted in collaboration with Freshwinds, a Birmingham medical charity
All of the healers employed were members of The Healing Trust, a non-religious UK charity
The research results confirm that spiritual healing benefits patients beyond the level that could be associated with the placebo effect
The research papers are freely available to view online (sorry not allowed to give links, I'm told)

But not many people read research papers, so I have written an easy-read book that explains the results and why they are relevant to everyone:

Healing in a Hospital; Scientific Evidence that Spiritual Healing Improves Health
by Sandy Edwards
ISBN 978-0-9575169-0-8
Available from Amazon or ask your library to get a copy for you

‘Spectacular research results and a very impressive book. Patients and clinicians should take this seriously.’ Dr Michael Dixon LVO, OBE, FRCGP, FRCC; Chair of Council, College of Medicine; Chair of NHS Alliance
‘Truly remarkable findings presented in an easy-read style. Stimulating and engrossing.’ The Duchess of Rutland, Patron of NFSH/The Healing Trust

Offline siasl

• Founder member who you can't insult as I'm too ignorant.
  • Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 122
  • -Receive: 85
  • Helpfulness: 129
  • Intelligence is soluble in alcohol <hic>
« Reply #4 on: 08 March, 2018, 06:50:28 PM »
Thanks for your post, Sandy. I think the links you are referring to are here.
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/sport-exercise/research/showcase/ibs-ibd.aspx

I like that this discussion thread here is listed as on a par with the BBC coverage :)